Wednesday, October 10, 2012

THE DONUT SHOP
“Therefore, let us confidently approach the throne from which God gives grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace in our time of need.”
Hebrews 4:16

My children are on Fall Break this week, and as such we have taken a journey to grandma’s house a couple states away from home. It is usually while on these vacations that the normal life is pushed aside and vacation life takes over. This normally includes extras like fun attractions, food, and lots of shopping. Today was no exception. Before anyone else was awake this morning, my kids began conspiring a way to get me to take them to the donut shop. Hearing them in the background with my eyes closed pretending I was asleep, I heard them debate the proper way to ask me, or better yet convince me, that donuts were needed. Little did they know that I too had just the night before thought about getting a donut and pretty much had already had a trip to the shop planned out. As I listened to their words, however, I was reminded of the days when I too would work to convince my parents that donuts were needed. Oh how it all comes back around.
But I was reminded of something else as well, on a deeper and spiritual level. It is in Hebrews 4:16 that we are told to come boldly before the throne of God. You see, my children were working out a way to convince me that donuts were needed instead of simply just asking, “Dad, can we get donuts?” Now they had no idea that I would say yes, but they choose not to boldly ask. Does that sound like anyone we know? Does that sound like us? I know that for myself, I still suffer with believing I have the right to approach God boldly and ask Him for something. I struggle with believing I have the right to ask, and that He wants to bless me with the things I ask for.
Let us take a minute, though, and look at the word ‘confidently’, or as other translations write, ‘boldly’. In the Greek it is the word PARRHESIA and means to have a freedom in speaking, without concealment, confidence, assurance, and in courage. It means a little more than what I always thought it meant. It isn’t just coming before God without fear in asking, but more in depth it means to come before God without holding anything back in our words, not being timid, and speaking in the assurance that what we are asking of God He will give us in our time of need. Now be honest, is that how your have been coming before God?
Before I close, though, I want to look at a couple more verses related to this passage that may help us to come in boldness before God. In looking at Hebrews 4:14 we read that we have a great High Priest, Jesus Christ, who has passed through heaven, and because of Him we are to hold fast to our profession. Then in verse 15 we read that He empathizes with us in our weaknesses and in our temptations. Therefore He can relate. And because He can relate, He wants us to come with boldness before Him.
I encourage you today to come in boldness before Him. He understands and He wants to bless. We do not need to come up with some sly way of tricking Him into giving us what we need, because He already knows what we need and already wants to give us what we need. So whether you want a donut, or something far greater, all that is required is to come boldly before Him with your request. Go ahead, ask Him even now, and watch as in due time His hand of blessing opens over you.
With that said, I’m off to the donut store with my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...