Friday, October 26, 2012

KINGS OR PRINCES
“’I will bless [Sarah]; moreover, I will give you a son by her. Truly I will bless her: she will be a mother of nations; kings of people will come from her.’”
Genesis 17:16

If you follow also with the Torah readings at all, you will note that this week’s reading comes from the Parashah (portion) titled Lech Lecha, meaning to “go out” or “leave”. This section of reading begins in Genesis 12:1 where we see God speaking to Abram to leave the country he has know and move to the country he will be shown by God. Now outside of the faith that it took for Abram to make this move in the first place, we also see his faith challenged in his dealings with the ruler of Egypt and calling Sarai his sister as opposed to wife, his faith in dealing with Lot, and his faith in trusting God for offspring. The portion drips with faith and is where honestly I find myself at times. As one who wants to trust God in every area, I have no problem confessing to you that I struggle. Life has not been the smooth sailing ride that I hoped and planned that it would be, but just because life isn’t wonderful does not mean I have been abandoned. In fact, as I am learning, it just means His clock and my clock are not set to the same time. Nonetheless, the promises God has given to me, as He also gave to Abram, will come about. Let us look forward.
The promise made to Abram was that he would be the father of many nations. This is a portion of Abram’s life we know well. However, a promise was also made of Sarai. In Genesis 17:16, as God is speaking to Abram, we read concerning Sarai, “’I will bless Sarai, moreover, I will give you a son by her. Truly I will bless her: she will be a mother of nations; kings of people will come from her.’”
Abram’s son, Ishmael, was born not only of Hagar as opposed to Sarai, but also born when Abram was not yet circumcised. It wasn’t until later when he was 99 that he and Ishmael, as well as all the other males within the camp, were circumcised. It was also at this time that Adonai changed Sarai’s name meaning mockery, to Sarah meaning princess. As with Abraham, so also it was with Sarah that a name change meant a pivot in the direction of her life. It was also at this time that God spoke that another son would be born to Abraham. This time the son would be birthed by Sarah, and his name would be Isaac.
As I was reading this portion in the Bible, a light bulb came on. In Genesis 17:16, God states that through Sarah’s birth to Isaac, she would become the mother of nations. It was declared that following this line, kings of peoples would come from her. We know that further on down the line the twelve tribes of Israel were birthed. Following these lines further, especially those of Benjamin and Judah, we see the kings that were promised in Saul, David, Solomon, and those who would come after. Compare this to Genesis 17:20 when Abraham is concerned with what will become of Ishmael. Although Ishmael is also his son, a promise from God is given, but not quite to the same extent. God declares that this line too will be great, but as opposed to kings, Ishmael’s line will see twelve princes. Did you catch that? To one will come kings while to the other only princes. Does this mean that God doesn’t care as much for the line of Ishmael? Not at all. But what it does state, or rather prove, is that the plans of man fail in comparison to the plans of God.
I am learning to be cautious. I am learning more so these days to stop and seek God’s ways. Too many times I have already stepped out in what I thought were good ideas only to find out that I made huge mistakes. I am learning the hard way that my plans are not always right. Instead of stepping out and hoping that God blesses my ideas, I need instead to wait, seek Him, and step where He says to step. In His path is the blessing that I desire to have fall over my life. But the minute I become out of sync with Him, the minute I step out from under His cover, that is when I find myself like Abram instead of Abraham.
Perhaps our biggest challenge is simply that; simply trying to not step ahead of God. I am grateful that there is a whole book full of others like me who have done this. I am grateful that their lessons are recorded for me to read and take into consideration. But it is not enough just to read it. I must apply these lessons. Oh God, how I pray that your words become the lessons I live by as opposed to the stories I read. I pray that I would stop stepping ahead of You and expecting you to bless my ways. May I always find myself walking in Your ways instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...