Tuesday, April 23, 2013

QUALIFICATIONS part 1
“Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach…”
I Timothy 3:2

Yesterday we took some time to define what an overseer is, and the answer may have surprised you. We have this thought that Paul was simply referring to those seeking a pastoral role, which is correct in that the word translates from ‘episkope’, meaning an elder or bishop. But as we found out, the word also refers to the act by which God looks into and searches out the ways and deeds, or character, of man, and this definition should apply to us all. Suddenly this verse takes on a whole new meaning. No longer is Paul only talking about those who desire to be ministers, but those who want to be searched and found right before God.
As we move on to the supporting verses, we begin to find exactly what the qualifications are for both those seeking ministry roles, as well as those who desire to stand before God during His searching. Today we will focus on those found in I Timothy 3:2, starting with the qualification of being above reproach. Honestly, I do not think this is a term we use to define people much anymore. The word itself in the Greek is ANEPILEPTOS, and it means blameless, not apprehended, and one who cannot be reprehended. How many people can we say are blameless? I consider myself to be a pretty good guy, be even I do not think I could honestly say in full that I am above reproach. But notice too that the word alludes to not being apprehended. Apprehended by what, or whom? I have to be honest and admit that the first apprehension that comes to mind is that of being apprehended by sin. Maybe it is safe to say that the first qualification to being an ‘episkope’ is to not be in agreement with sin in any fashion.
The one seeking to be an ‘episkope’ must also be the husband of but one wife. Now this one seems pretty much straight forward, yet it was this one that I was told would un-qualify me from ever entering into the ministry. The actual phrase in Greek reads, ANER MIA GUNE, husband of only one wife. The term ‘of only one’ is defined by some as meaning that the person who is ever involved in divorce stands no chance of being involved in the ministry. Others define this term as meaning that we should not literally have multiple wives as was custom in the Old Testament days. But if we take the definition of overseer in relation to this qualification, would it still make sense to say the divorcee can never enter into ministry? Can the divorcee not be searched by God in his ways, deeds, and character? And consider this fact as well. We cannot be married to both God and sin as in so doing we do marry more than one.
The next of the seven qualifications found in verse 2 that I want to look at today is the qualification of temperance. The term is NEPHALEOS in the Greek, and it translates as sober and abstaining from wine. Now while I myself am not one who gives into drinking anymore, I do not judge those who do. We probably have all heard enough from the pulpit to know that water in Jesus’ days did not have the same filtration systems we use today, and as a result wine was normally drank. But it is the engorging of drink that makes one drunk, and therefore not temperate. That said, drunk people seem to make decisions while intoxicated that can be questionable, to say the least. So to prevent these questionable decisions, Paul encourages us to not be drunk with physical drink. But as one who wants God to search all aspects of himself, and be found in the greater definition of ‘episkope’, I must be sober also from sin. I cannot afford the wine of sin to intoxicate me and in the end be the reason that this office passes me by.
At this point, I want to encourage you. I want to encourage you to evaluate your life in these three areas, as well as the ones that are still to come. While you may never be ordained and stand behind the pulpit, you do have the ability to minister to others with your life. Does your life reflect one who is apprehended by sin, married to God and sin, and drunk on the wine of sin? Or does your life reflect one who is blameless, devoted and married only to God, and not giving over to the aftertaste of sin on your breath. Our lifestyle speaks more than our words. What is yours saying about you?
Et us continue on now. The next qualification to make the list is the word ‘self-controlled’. Let me start by saying that this is a different self-control than the fruit we read about in Galatians 5:23. In the Galatians passage the word is EGKRATEIA, meaning to be one who masters his desires and passions. Here in I Timothy, though, Paul uses the word SOPHRON, meaning also the curbing of desire, but more so the fact of being of a sound mind or sober in thought. In the physical, a minister needs to have his or her mind fixed on God’s ways, sober to the mindset of what and how God desires to move. He cannot, or should not, move based on society or fear of what the church may think, but should be stepping out in the truth God is speaking. This fact revolves around the being one with God. But in the greater definition of us all being ‘episkope’, we all need to be in the same mindset with God. We all need to curb our desires and be sober in the ways of God.
While more can be said regarding self-control, we move to our next qualification which is stated as being ‘respectable’. In the Greek we read this word as KOSMIOS, from the root word KOSMOS. Kosmos is defined as a harmonious arrangement or order. Kosmios is defined as well arranged and modest. The root and variant both involve the same context, that of order. An ‘episkope’, whether behind the pulpit or in the greater meaning of one who is searched by God, needs to be one who is orderly. Now while this can mean physical order, I think it can just as well mean spiritual order. We must strive to be those who search out the truth, apply the truth, and share the truth. It is no surprise that there are many theologies just within the church that battle for supporters, but I urge you to study out God’s Word for yourself. Taking the belief of other preachers, or even other family members, is not being well arranged as much as it is being lazy. Dig for yourself and allow God to arrange and order your belief based on His truth.
The qualification of being ‘hospitable’ is the Greek word PHILOXENOS, and is a literal translation. We as ‘episkope’ should be hospitable and generous to others. This same word is found in I Peter 4:9, where Peter writes, “Use ‘philoxenos’ one to another without grudging.” We are not to murmur or debate the fact on a list of pros and cons, but are simply to be generous. The fact is this can be harder done than said. What if we do not want to be hospitable, are not able to be hospitable, or are just afraid of being taken advantage of when being hospitable? I wish I had an answer for these concerns, but all I can say is what I am now saying to myself. The example of Christ was that of a servant. I see now that I need to serve a little more, trusting that what I am doing is His will.
Lastly in I Timothy 3:2 we read the qualification of being able to teach. I have actually heard this piece taught as the ability to teach, as well as the fact of being teachable. To end the debate, the word in the Greek is DIDAKTIKOS, and it translates into an apt and skill in teaching. In the pastoral sense, it makes sense that a pastor should be one who is able to teach the crowd, draw them in, and leave them with a point or two to ponder at home. But is this true also of the greater definition of ‘episkope’? I venture to say yes. When approached or challenged concerning your beliefs, are you able to share on the terms of the listener what you believe? Are you able to teach them about God in a skillful and sensible way, or do you leave them wondering what your are trying to say? I am not saying we all have to be scholars and English teachers, but am suggesting that we know what we believe so that we can clearly share our beliefs with others.
In just one verse we have defined seven qualifications of an ‘episkope’. I share these qualifications not to sway you to begin judging your pastor, but to encourage you to perhaps judge yourself. We are all ministers as we are all being watched. And the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words is truer than we think. What thousand words are being spoken of others about you as they look at your life and your Christian title? Are you an ‘episkope’? If not, then perhaps this is a good time to begin letting God search us out, challenge us, and sharpen us to meet these qualifications He has put in place.

2 comments:

  1. This is very well thought out. I have always felt that we are each in the minstry. Not only that, but each one of us is recognized by our fruit. How are we to feed those that are hungry if our lives are fruitless? When each qualification you shared is working within our lives we are pruned, and ready to produce. We can feed others that hungry. We had a similar discussion in my Sunday school class.
    "Does your life reflect one who is apprehended by sin, married to God and sin, and drunk on the wine of sin?" This was a great way to bring these verses into the lives of those outside of the field of ministry. I think most people overlook the value, because they don't see the application. Great job! Thank you for taking time to promote God's word, and bless others in the process. God bless you, and may your ministry continue to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy. I tell you, I always want to be used by God but as I am reading over these qualifications in depth, I am beginning to see that who I thought I was is still lacking. I have wondered many times why God has not released me into full time ministry, but as I read these I see it. God has allowed me to be used, but there have been some things that I have not had right according to this list. I am glad He has opened my eyes, and truth be told I neglected His urging 2 years back when He told me to seek the truth in these words. He is sharpening me in this study, and I now more than ever want to follow His ways and rid all sin. Thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...