Monday, April 8, 2013

GUARDED AND LIFTED
“For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.”
Psalm 91:11-12

My mom shares this story better than I can, but I will do my best. It was two years ago that my mom made the move from living in southern California to living outside of Dallas, Texas. I was called on to help her with the move, which I didn’t mind at all, and as such drove the moving truck. However, as we neared Albuquerque, New Mexico, I remember we all pulled over to the side. Now driving the big truck, I was not able to stop as fast as the others, which is why I cannot tell the story as well as mom. But stepping out of the truck to walk over to where the other two vehicles were of my mom, brother, and sister, I noticed a man on a motor cycle had stopped too. I reached my sister and asked why we stopped and who the man was, but she was as puzzled as I. It was only at our next rest stop that things began making a little more sense. And it was only then that we came to understand, from his questions, to his dress, to his sudden disappearance, that this man may in fact have been an angel, protecting us on our journey.
Now again, I cannot tell this account as well as my mom, but it should come as no surprise that angels are all around us. The Bible even warns us to be careful, for we may be entertaining angels unaware. In that moment, I strongly believe we did. But if here in Psalm 91, God assures us that He gives the command for His angels concerning us, it should be the norm as opposed to the strange. And notice it is not a request of God, but rather a command. The word command is the Hebrew word TSAVAH, meaning a charge or divine appointment. It is not a suggestion; it is a specific act. The command is given for the heavenly messengers, on our behalf, to be guarded in all our ways. This term guard is the word SHAMAR, translated as kept, watched, and protected. In all our ways, DEREK, travels, distances, journeys, God angels have been given the command to specifically watch over us. This revelation reminds me of that ‘80s song, “I always feel like somebody’s watching me.” This time it is a good thing.
Notice now, as we move forward, that the angels lift us up in their hands so that we do not even strike our foot on a stone. Notice also, that these same words were spoken by the tempter in Matthew 4:6. This proves first that the devil knows Scripture, but proves also the power in this Scripture. The angels lift us up, NASA’, carry us, support us, and sustain us. This word also translates as forgives us. Now while we do not seek forgiveness from an angel when we sin, this refers more so to the fact of them following the command of God to protect us as told, despite what we may have done. In calling out to God, He hears us and provides assistance. In the hands, or power, KAPH, of the commanded angel, we do not strike our foot. This phrase of striking our foot is correctly translated as the smiting or stumbling of our leg or foot against a physical stone, or against any other type stone that may cause us injury.
Whether the man that stopped to offer assistance on our road trip was an angel or not, I may not be able to fully answer. But who is to say that in the stopping we were not saved from an incident where the enemy was waiting to ambush us. This uncommon and unplanned stop may have prevented us from danger. And in that, whether an angel or not, I can rest in knowing that God commanded His angels to guard us, lifting us away from the moment where something may have gone wrong. We may never fully see all the times that God commands His angels to guard us, but we must rest assured that when we are dwelling and resting in Him, as we read in Psalm 91:1, He will provide for our protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...