Wednesday, February 9, 2011

MARRIAGE VOWS
“When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it.”
Ecclesiastes 5:4-5

I married my first wife on August 1, 1998. Before we married, we each took the time to write out the vows we wanted to say. For me, as one who enjoys researching and writing, this was a long process. I wanted to say just the right thing, and I wanted it to be from my heart as opposed to just standard words written out for me. In the end, I did add my own twist to the standard wording of for better or worse, richer or poorer, sickness and health, loving and cherishing till death do us part. But as I was cleaning out my closet last night, I stumbled upon some old pictures and memories from the wedding. It was at this point that I began to realize more deeply that I did not keep my vows.
It is normally in these quiet moments of reflection that God speaks the loudest to me. This time was no exception. As I felt the guilt for not keeping my marriage vow, I heard God ask, “What about your vow to me?” What? I was forced to think back and came to the conclusion that I have been living more sold out for God these past few years than ever before. But God didn’t let up. I heard Him ask me again. “What about the vows you have made to me and have not seemed to keep?” Again I was confused and had to think back. I jogged my memory and still couldn’t think of vows that I felt I had broken.
Then God began to share more intimately what He was referring to. Just as in my marriage I had made the covenant to be committed regardless of riches, health, or love in return, so also when I had accepted Christ as my Savior I made a vow with God that I would be committed to Him until the end. This covenant doesn’t end when it feels like God is far away, or when I am suffering financial struggles, or feeling the pains of sickness. And it also shouldn’t be increased when things are going well, and money is pouring in, or when health is great. When I asked Christ into my life as my Lord, I made a vow to Him that be it up or down, I would be committed till death. So then, have I kept my vow to God or have I unknowingly began to distance myself from God based on my actions and feelings that come with the waves of better or worse that ebb and flow?
As I contemplate the vow I have made with God, I am reminded of a song by Geoff Moore and the Distance. In the song The Vow, Geoff sings of his knowledge of himself and how he will falter due to his inadequacy. The end result then, is his need for God to help him in keeping his covenant. And this is where I found myself last night as God spoke with me. I faltered in my marriage; I didn’t keep my vows that I had originally stated I would do. The end result was divorce. How much more will I lose if I falter in my vows with God? As we read in Ecclesiastes 5:4, we should not delay in the vows we make with God. If I said I would, then I need to keep my vow. The reason being is seen in verse 5. It is better to not make a vow than to break a vow.
I do not want to break anymore vows. I especially do not want to break vows I have made unto God. Because of this alone, I find myself asking God for help in keeping my vow to Him. Do you feel the same? My life is an open book and I hope that in each page I share, God uses me as a tool. As I have poured out today the importance of a vow kept, maybe God has been talking to you and asking you the same question He posed to me. “What about your vow to me?” Are you able to answer in full confidence or do you, like me, see where the vows made have been compromised and need to be returned to? Now is the time to finish strong in the covenant to following Christ that we have made. God help us not to falter from the vows we have made to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...