Sunday, February 6, 2011

THE COMEBACKS
“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”
Romans 8:37

When it comes to sports, there are only a few that I will watch religiously on television. They include football, Nascar, and college basketball if my alma mater is playing or during March Madness. Other sports I find I would rather watch in person than on television. Last night, though, I was able to see my alma mater play their homecoming game. As I watched with my kids on the couch, I pointed out the section of seats where I would sit as a student. I laughed at the face painted students, remembering I used to do the same. And I felt the same emotion as they went into half time down by ten. They had been trailing all night and I wondered if they would be able to comeback. Then it happened. Following the half the team came out and looked refreshed, recharged, and ready to play. From the tip off to the last ticking seconds, my team held their opponent off and came back to win 81-73. They went from down by ten to win by eight. This was a much needed win and a great comeback to watch.
The Bible is full of comebacks; those who looked defeated but in the end came back stronger and brought a win for the heavens. I think about Samson who was deceived by a nagging girlfriend to tell the secret of his strength. She then used this secret against him and he became the reason for the Philistines laughter. But, when it looked like he was down for the count, God allowed him strength once more as he grabbed the pillars and brought the house down. What a comeback.
Or what about Saul who became Paul? It looked like the enemy was going win as Saul had gained so much power in being able to have Christ followers murdered for their beliefs. With letters from the high priest in hand, and his plans set to travel to the synagogues in Damascus, Christians hid in fear. But when it looked hopeless, God knocked Saul off his donkey and questioned why his was persecuting Him. This event set the stage for a great comeback as from it we have a majority of the New Testament.
But the greatest comeback in all history is that of Christ. Tortured, nailed on cross, and laid in a borrowed tomb, the enemy thought he had finally won. I’m sure they were even celebrating on the sidelines. However, the game was still being played; the final buzzer had not yet sounded. When hope seemed lost to ‘Team God’, ‘Team God’ came back. With the stone rolled away, and angels declaring His resurrection, Jesus Christ came back to life for the greatest comeback ever in history!
But the story doesn’t end here. Yours and my final buzzer has not yet sounded either. In my own game I went into the locker room at the half defeated by sin, questioning if I should even play the second half because I was down by so much. My enemy was so far ahead in points. The coach, though, saw untapped potential in me and fed me truth. “Daniel, you are more than a conqueror because of all of me that I have placed in you. Now go out there and play in my strength.” The game isn’t over yet, but I am on a second half hot streak. I’m coming back, and the enemy is losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...