Monday, February 28, 2011

SET ME ON FIRE
“In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”
Matthew 5:16

I will be honest and share that I am not one to follow current events as well as I should. In fact, if it had not been for someone asking me my views on the uprisings in the Arab countries recently, I may not have known the full story. But as I began to read past online reports about the recent events, God began to show me something. Actually, God asked me a question, which I want to take the next five days to both explain and ask you. But let us start this week’s devotions in the country of Tunisia.
On December 17, 2010, Mohammad Bu Azizi, decided to make a point. Stories share that as he was unable to find a job and took to selling produce on the streets. Without any permit to do so, however, his scales were confiscated and produce thrown out by an agent, who then also slapped him in public. Disgraced and upset, Bu Azizi went to the local government building where he hoped to plead a case. Soon after, and ignored by the government, the young man poured gasoline on himself and set his body ablaze. It took this extreme act, though, for the government to listen. But it is in this extreme act that God began talking to me.
The question comes down to my fire. For years I have prayed that God would set me on fire and that I would be used to bring others to Him. And why not pray this? Growing up in Sunday school I would sing, “This little light of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.” Is this not what Jesus spoke of in Matthew 5:16? Jesus told you and me to let our light shine before men. I am not supposed to hide it under a bush, or let the devil blow it out as I have in the past, but rather let it shine. I am called by God to be the light of the world, the city on the hill that can be seen from miles away, drawing others to Him as a lighthouse steers ships to safety. So if I am called to be this, then the question is am I being this?
Reading about Mohammad Bu Azizi in the news stirs in me one question. In reality, he took a stand for his beliefs; he wanted his people and himself to stop being treated ill and be shown respect. He took that stand when he went to the government office and lit that match. And so now I must decide whether or not I too will take that stand. But my stand is a little different. I have no intention of physically bringing myself to the altar or in any way committing suicide. Instead, I have every intention of saying no to sin. As the government took advantage of his people, so sin and hell has taken advantage of God’s people. No more! I pour on me the oil of the Spirit and pray that in this action of striking the match, the fire of God will come on me to consume and place me as the beacon of light on the hill, that God says I am.
When John Wesley was asked why so many people would come to hear him speak, this was his response. “I set myself on fire and people come to watch me burn.” I pray, may this be true of you and me also. Oh God, set me on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...