Tuesday, February 28, 2012

PSALM 93
“More than the sound of rushing waters or the mighty breakers of the sea, Adonai on high is mighty.”
Psalm 93:4

Living in southern California until leaving for college, I had many summers where I visited the beach. Sometimes it was with the family, but many times I was one of many who managed to stuff ourselves in the church bus for an adventure to the coast with the church youth group. Great memories still fill my mind such as the football scrimmages and volleyball games on the beach, the sandy hotdogs, the building of sandcastles, the bonfires, the sunsets, and even just the simple crashing of the waves. In fact, some of the memories I still hold dear come from just the noise and the power of the waves. When last I visited the beach with my own children in 2008, this sound and sight was like coming home.
When I think on Psalm 93 I cannot help but remember my summer days at the beach. It is in this chapter that David explains the stunning awesomeness and power of Adonai in comparison to the waves. David begins by declaring that Adonai is king, robed in majesty and girded with strength. Adonai as well, has established His throne long before time and it cannot be moved. In the close of this chapter David credits Adonai’s instruction as sure and His house holy. Even though his beginnings were those of a shepherd boy, David knew the truth of his God and it was for his God that he found a hunger and thirst.
Wrapped up between the beginning verses and final thoughts, however, is a mighty comparison of imagery. “Adonai, the deep is raising up, the deep is raising up its voice, the deep is raising its crashing waves. More than the sound of rushing waters or the mighty breakers of the sea, Adonai on high is mighty.” Having watched and heard many waves, this is a psalm of praise and I pray I explain it well. It is in these words that David is pointing out two main truths about God. First, as we read concerning Psalm 150, everything that has breath is to praise the LORD. The seas are joining in the praise as they too are raising their thunderous voice in worship to their creator. The second truth is just as awesome as in it David points out the force and mighty volume that the sea praises with is still not as mighty as the hand of Adonai.
As I was preparing this morning for work, with the facet running, this point was made clearer to me. Currently I reside in Nashville, TN. It was in May of 2010 that the rains came and caused what was soon termed the Nashville flood. I remember watching the force of the waters on TV as cars floated away, as rescue crews worked to save people, and the sight of a school building set a drift down the freeway. If ever the reality of the force of water was made clear, it was in these sites. And yet, with this imagery, I see the force of this water is no match for Adonai. The truth is that while the force of water is mighty, the force of my God is mightier.
Adonai on high is mighty. Adonai is mighty to bring His chosen people out of Egypt. Adonai is mighty to shut the mouths of lions. Adonai is mighty to aim a rock right into the forehead of a giant. And Adonai is mighty enough to raise His Son from the dead. What is there that He cannot do? Nothing, nothing at all. With this in mind, I join with David as I declare the truth of Psalm 93, that Adonai on high is mighty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...