Wednesday, February 8, 2012

PSALM 143
“Adonai, rescue me from my enemies; I have hidden myself with you.”
Psalm 143:9

Growing up I wasn’t one of those children who seemed to always get in trouble. Not that I am boasting, but I never liked discipline so I did my best to stay out of harm’s way. That being said, I still had my fair share of mess ups that required action, and my parents were there to be sure I met my fate. But when I compare my moments and struggles with those of David in his shepherding days, I feel like David was holding the unfair part of the stick. Let me explain.
We know from I Samuel 16 and following that David was anointed king. Because of Saul’s disobedience, God rejected Saul as king. That in itself should make us tread carefully when working to obey God. However, when Samuel came to the house of Jesse as instructed by God, David wasn’t even in the house. His father didn’t see him as important enough to call him in. When one by one God told Samuel to move on, then finally Jesse reported that he had another son. Samuel anointed David as king to replace Saul and jealousy began. Jealousy was in his brothers’ hearts when he took down Goliath. Jealousy was in Saul’s heart when David killed his tens of thousands. And jealousy later was in Micha’s heart as David danced before the LORD when the Ark was returned. Talk about a bad day.
Yet the point I want to focus on today is in the moments between being anointed and not yet being king. It was in this time that Saul took many shots at David. Death threats and attempts were pointed at David. Even though the reward for slaying Goliath was Saul’s daughter, making him family, Saul wanted David out of the way. Biblical mafia may be a great way to explain it. And through all the attempts David had to live in hiding. David stayed in caves many times, and even in the Philistine camp at one point. So it is no wonder that the words sang in Psalm 143:9 ring out, “Adonai, rescue me!” The song even opens with a plea, “Hear my prayer, listen to my pleas for mercy.” His enemy would not let up.
But maybe like David, you find yourself crying out the same prayer. Honestly, I know I do these days. I know that people have said ill things about me. I know people don’t agree with my actions. And I know that people are wanting to take away from me the blessing and calling I know with no doubt that God is calling me to. I find myself in the same place as David, in my own little cave crying out, “Adonai, rescue me!” One of the greatest characteristics about God, however, is He is faithful. Although David hid in caves and in the camp of his enemies for protection, God still protected him. God did rescue David. David didn’t let up on his prayers, and God didn’t let up on His protection. That being said, it is okay to cry out and plead with God for our rescue. He is faithful; He will do His part. God has no favorites, so if He rescued David He too will rescue us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...