Wednesday, February 22, 2012

PSALM 121
“I lift my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from?”
Psalm 121:1

Have you ever had a God-stumble? You know, those moments where you have read something over and over before and then the next time you read it and it leaps off the page. I had one this morning. While the house was still quiet and the kids were asleep I opened my Bible again to the Psalms and found Psalm 121. I knew this one; I have read it a thousand times. But today, on perhaps reading number one thousand one, the words jumped at me. Maybe it was because I had a good sleep, maybe it was because God had been speaking to me and I was in that quiet place, or maybe this was just the day, but as I read the first verse I knew I had stumbled with God’s help on a truth I personally needed.
“I lift my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from?” There have been times as a parent when I have seen my kids walking downcast. Not to single them out, there have been times I have done it myself. We are so moved by our emotions that it is something we do. We wear this down-trodden and flat-line expression on our body. For me that includes a head looking down at my feet as opposed to in front of me. I am not sure why I feel that looking at the ground will bring about the answer, but nonetheless I stare at the ground below me. Yet in reading this passage today, I felt in my spirit that God was speaking that I look down too often. In this verse He is saying to look up, to lift my eyes to the hills. It is just over that horizon that the answer comes, that new life begins, and that salvation is found.
Still, even after this opening segment and reminder to look up, a question is asked. “Where does my help come from?” I am sure I am not the only one who has wondered that before. And even more honestly, knowing the answer and believing the answer are two different things. David answers the question for us in verse 2 by saying, “My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.” So we know the answer is the LORD. Do we believe that answer is the LORD? Perhaps I am alone in this thought, but having ‘the LORD’ for the answer to every question can sometimes seem redundant. But again, this is where my stumbling moment has led me.
When we finish the chapter we see a small six verse glimpse at the character of God that allows Him to be that answer and that help. In verse 3 we see that He will not let our foot slip nor does He slumber. Verse 4 declares to us His watching over His people, Israel. Verse 5 makes it more pointed at us because it tells us that God also watches over us specifically, and provides shade for the sun that can not harm us in verse 6. The chapter closes out with verses 7 and 8 declaring again that God keeps us from all harm – notice that is ALL harm – and watches over us as we come and go, now and forever.
Why then do we allow ourselves to walk with our heads down when they should be looking to the hills? Our help, no matter what struggle we are in, is out toward the hills, not down by our feet. This change in view is needed, for this change helps us to refocus on God as opposed to ourselves and situations. And this refocusing allows us to see God as He is promised, as the One who will watch over us, fully alert. That said here is our new morning exercise routine. When we awake and get out of bed, let us lift our head and eyes to the hills, for that is where our help for the day will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...