Friday, October 15, 2010

HEROES
"But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved."
Hebrews 10:39

As a child I watched my share of the super hero cartoons. My Saturdays were filled with Superman, Spiderman, Batman and Robin, and even the Wonder Twins. What I saw on TV I would work to re-enact outside later that day. I even remember one time where I had my own version of a Batman super belt. When I got the string hooked just right on the swing set I expected to be yanked up like my hero. Instead, I found myself landing on the ground with a thump. Now days I have the joy of watching my own kids mimic their heroes.
I've come a long way from my superhero days with a blanket tied around my neck as a cape. But I have also come to realize what a true hero is. For that I turn to Hebrews 11. Within these verses is found the shortened list of the real heroes, the Heroes of Faith. Let's take a look.
Hebrews 11:5 tells us of one of the lesser known heroes, Enoch. His super power...pleasing God. Because Enoch pleased God in all he did, he never knew death. Or how about Noah, whose super power was the ability to build a boat the size of an aircraft carrier with wood and pitch (11:7). How can we forget Joseph, who is recorded in Hebrews 11:22 as having enough faith in God's promise to request that his bones be carried to the Promised Land. Joshua had the super power of marching and blowing a trumpet, causing walls to fall (11:30). Rahab had the power of creating an invisible shelter for the spies to hide in (11:31). And let us not forget the strength of Samson (11:32). Yet still other heroes had the powers of kingship, judging, facing lions, being thrown in fire, and escaping a swift sword.
Unlike the X-Men, theses heroes were not mutants, but rather were empowered with a faith in God alone. By the super power of FAITH, these heroes risked their very lives for God. But before this whole list of heroes and powers was written, the author of Hebrews wrote the following.
But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.
Their faith in God gave them the ability to look death in it's eyes and not retreat. They did not shrink back when the lions roared, or giants came, or fire grew hotter. They did not shrink back when stuffed into logs to be sawed in half, or when stones flew, or when chains bound them. These men and women were true heroes, and these are of those whose ranks I long to match now that I am older. It should be no secret, that as I stand on the Vanguard of the life I live, I want by power to be FAITH. And it should not be a surprise when I stand face to face with the enemy and do not shrink back. For as Revelation 12:11 states, they overcame the enemy by the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony. This written testimony of a faith in God in Hebrews 11 is the exact same source of power that I welcome as I make my stand.
What is your super power? Who are your heroes? When confronted face to face with the enemy, will you shrink back or take a stand as those who have gone before you? The power is offered to all; these choice is yours to make.
I challenge you to grab your cape and embrace the power of faith in God alone, and join me ON THE VANGUARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...