Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I WILL GO
"But Ruth replied, 'Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me.'"
Ruth 1:16-17

We hear these words at weddings when the bride and groom are making their vows to each other. And why not? This is a powerful statement and fits well with Matthew 19:6 stating they are no longer two but now one and what God has joined, let no man separate. But I feel these verses are meant for so much more than a fancy wedding phrase. This passage is one of devotion.
Ruth was a Moabite and had married one of the sons of Elimelech, from the tribe of the Ephrathites. The Mosaic law did not specifically forbid this mixed marriage. In events unknown to us in the Bible, Elimelech, and his sons Mahlon and Kilion, had all died and their wives were left alone. It was in this time that Naomi received word that her home land of Moab was again growing prosperous. Taking her daughter's in law with her, the trip to Moab was underway. As they were traveling, however, Naomi turned back to the women and requested that they go back to their homes as they were young and still able to marry. Orpah did so, but Ruth remained.
As Naomi worked to convince Ruth that she had nothing to offer, Ruth worked to show her determination. After Naomi reminded Ruth that she herself would not marry and therefore have no other sons for Ruth to wed, as was the custom, and pointing out that Orpah had left, Ruth hushed Naomi with her words.
"Don't urge me to leave you or turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."
The story continues and Ruth did go with Naomi to Moab, where she was married to Boaz. Boaz became the father of Obed who was the father of Jesse who was the father of King David (Ruth 4:21-22), but that is a story for another time.
Not long ago I watched a movie on Ruth and must confess that the acting and power of this scene where Ruth protests going back drew me in. As I watched and later went back to read this account, I could not help but wonder if this was the same speech I would have given. If God laid before me a choice to go home, (a worldly lifestyle) or follow Him not knowing what laid ahead, would I have been so determined? Or how about when God desires I step into a new career or mission field and I have the decision to go or stay in the land of comfort I know. Will I go?
Here is the best example I can relate to personally. For some time now I have known through ancestry that my family line is Jewish. I, however, have been slow to acknowledge it. I feared the comments from friends, co-workers, and mainly my ex-wife. But as I have secretly been doing more research myself, I have felt the leading to embrace my culture. You may have seen it coming or wondered based on some of the past devotionals and the writings I had done concerning Jewish holidays and such. Yet for me, the words of Ruth have taken on a whole new meaning; a calling to a new place. The fork in the road has been given and I have made up my mind.
Today I say the words of Ruth. I say them to God, and I say them to my family:
Where you go I will go and where you stay I will stay.
Your people, (the people of Israel), will be my people,
and your God, (YHWH), will be my G-d.

You may not be of Jewish descent, but the question is still posed before you. Will you follow him, going where He goes and staying where He stays? Will His people or nations be yours. And most importantly, will God be your God? Will you answer 'yes' and travel the right path to the fork set before you? I will go. Who will come and join me ON THE VANGUARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...