Wednesday, September 29, 2010

BRIGHT AND SHINING FACES
"When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD."
Exodus 34:29

Have you ever played laser tag? I played my first game in college on a community date night. My mission was to hit anyone I could, and that included my date. The only problem was that I stuck out like a sore thumb. I failed to understand that night that although I look good in white, I was going to glow in the dark. With the black lights broadcasting my glow, I became the easy target for everyone playing.
Moses had a similar experience. No he didn't play laser tag, but he did glow. The Bible tells us in Exodus 34:29-35 that when Moses came down from Mount Sinai after being with the LORD, his face was radiant. In fact, it was so radiant that when Moses spoke to the people, he covered his face with a veil. The veil was not worn when he was in God's presence, however.
As I read this, there are a few things that come alive to me that I want to share with you. The first is that the Bible records Moses speaking with God, not to Him. "But whenever he entered the LORD's presence to speak with Him, he removed the veil until he came out. And when he came out and told the Israelites what he had been commanded, they saw that his face was radiant." (Ex 34:34-35a). When Moses and God spoke, it was with God. But when Moses and the people spoke, it was to the people. I personally think that too many times we speak to God and with others.
Another lesson that speaks to me personally is within the veil. Now although Moses wore the veil in the presence of the people, he did not wear it in the presence of God. This veil was not the prayer shawl or tallit, but simply a veil (masvah) that kept the glow from being too much for others around him. I point this out as the tallit also was used to cover one's face, but that is for another soon devotional. However, I am simply struck by the fact that in the presence of God, Moses had no hindrance. The veil was not worn when speaking to God so that Moses and God were able to speak without any barriers.
The last point, and most obvious to see, is that simple fact that because Moses had been in God's presence, his face shined. In all honesty, keeping a daily (or mostly daily) devotional site keeps me constantly in God's Word. I cannot be a hypocrite and challenge you to be in God's Word if I am not in the Word myself. And as a parent, I cannot preach to my children about things that I also am unwilling to change. But the fact of Moses' face glowing as a result of being with God makes me desire the same. I want to shine so bright that I do point others to God. And I don't mean this in a 'holier than thou' way, but in a way where I truly shine for God and others are brought to Him by the light of God I portray.
I became an unhidden target that night playing laser tag. I tried to hide. But as hard as I tried, I was seen by all. But oh, how I desire the same, now, with a little twist. I desire to not be hidden; to let the light of God shine in me. I want to be a reflection of God's glory and presence in and on me. I want my face to shine like Moses'. It is only in being in His presence that this desire will ever come about.
So I challenge you now in the three areas of today's thoughts. First, are you talking with God, or to God? Second, when you come to God, are you covering yourself because of fear of your past, or convictions of your present? Or are you coming without a veil so as to seek God's face and risk the shine? Only after we remove the veil in these moments with God will we risk the last piece of our challenge, to be told that we are too shiny. Oh how I would rather be too shiny for God than too dim that others do not see God in me. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...