Saturday, August 14, 2010

THE SEVEN DAY CHALLENGE
"March around the city once with all the armed men. Do this for six days. Have seven priests carry trumpets of rams' horns in front of the ark. On the seventh day, march around the city seven times, with the priests blowing the trumpets."
Joshua 6:3-4

I woke up from a dream this morning and really felt God was talking to me concerning the account of Joshua and the city of Jericho. However, as I laid there in my awakened prostrate prayer sprawl, I saw how God was not only challenging me, but others as well. Before I go on, though, I should point out that there are two types of walls. They are walls that keep us protected, as seen in the story of Nehemiah, and walls that prevent us from having what God has told us is ours. Whether we like it or not, we all have these preventing walls that we are up against as did Joshua and the Israelites. But, like Joshua, God has promised us the victory, (Josh 6:2).
Six days they marched around Jericho with the ark of the covenant of the LORD. For six days they marched in complete silence, except for the sound of their footsteps and declaration of the trumpet sounds. And for six days they made their rounds and returned to camp as they were ordered. All this repetition led up to day seven.
Rising as normal at daybreak on the seventh day, the Israelites began preparing for their march. Joshua gathered the army and gave a slight change in plans from the days before. This time, instead of marching around once, they would march seven times. And where as they had previously returned to camp in the same silence they had marched in, this time they would not return, but rather give a battle cry, the likes that had never been heard before. So, with God on their side and His promise of their victory, they started out.
The Bible describes Jericho as a city dripping with fear. They had heard of God's mighty power and the feats previously accomplished, but now they were about to see first hand the power of the One they refused to believe. As the final circle around the city was completed, the people shouted, the trumpets blared, and the walls came down! The army of Israel ram sacked the city and the grip of Jericho on the land was ended. Once again, God's promise was made complete.
Contemplating this story and my dream this morning, God showed me that I have walls that need to come down. I have walls of sin, fear, and anger to name a few. And as strange as it may sound, I believe that I am to march around my walls for the next seven days. This is my challenge from God to me, but it may be yours also. Perhaps you have walls or addictions that God is wanting to deal with. Or perhaps your city block is populated with unbelievers than believers and your march is for their salvation. Maybe your march is on an attack in your marriage, health, or finances. Whatever the reason, I encourage you to take the same seven day challenge. Listen to God, hear Him speak the walls that he has raised you up to defeat, and then march. As God told Joshua He now tells you, "See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands," (Josh 6:2a). Bust down the walls, and join me ON THE VANGUARD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...