Wednesday, May 30, 2012

CALL IT OUT
“The word of the LORD came to [Jeremiah], saying, ’Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.’”
Jeremiah 1:4-5

As a parent of two children, now ages 10 and 7, I find myself often concerned with what happens in their lives. Mix together the fact that they are children of a broken family, children who struggle with the daily happenings of life, children who face bullies, and children who are constantly deciphering the choice to follow God or man, being a young child is almost as difficult as being an adult. I commend my children, and often tell them that they are my heroes for the many things they face daily. My years growing up seem like a breeze compared to what my children are battling. But it was in seeking God on their behalf recently that I was, with a song written by a child playing in the background even, reminded of the life of Jeremiah.
In the early stages of Jeremiah’s life he was called out. While we do not know the exact age, we know from reading his calling that he considered himself a child. The word of the Lord came to Jeremiah and declared, “’Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.’” His response, “’I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.’” This response didn’t seem to sway the LORD’s decision, for He came right back saying, “’Do not say, “I am only a child.” You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.’” The LORD had put a calling on Jeremiah and was capping this calling on him by calling it forth. He indeed was to be a prophet to the nations, was to go where the LORD led, and was to say what the LORD spoke.
In the fall of 2011, the movie Courageous came out. Without giving the plot away to anyone who has not seen it yet, I will say that the movie had much to do with the father coming to a point of calling out the destiny of God in his children. In essence, this example is seen in this passage from Jeremiah. The LORD saw in Jeremiah something that perhaps Jeremiah had not yet seen of himself. Having crafted Jeremiah in the womb with certain characteristics and features and interests and desires, the LORD called them all in order, and as such called the man for a specific task. This same calling that the LORD did for Jeremiah, He does also for us. We may not see it in ourselves, but He sees it and calls it forth.
I am coming to a point where as a parent, much like God sees something in me, I am beginning to see something in my children. I look at my son and I see a tender heart. I look at him and I see one who is kind, yet struggles when there disorder or confusion. While it may be nothing, I believe it is part of his calling. Who knows but that my son may be called to the helpless, hopeless, and despairing, and be able to give them help as they work to get back on the right track. And I look at my daughter and see her so full of life. She is my social butterfly, my little lover, and my caretaker. Perhaps God is preparing her for a calling in the medical field where she will be able to ease the nerves of people while addressing their wounds.
It is hard to say concerning both of my children what the end result will be, but it is not hard to see my mission toward both of them. As their father, my mission is to call their gifts out. This is what the LORD did for Jeremiah, in calling him and assuring him that the gifts he possessed were for His glory. And this is what He has done for me, reassuring me that my love of study, history, and writing are not characteristic of a freak, but of one called. So as parents, or grandparents, this same duty and model rests of us. It is time for us to look upon our children and grandchildren the way He does. It is time for us to begin to call out the gifts that God has placed in our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...