Saturday, May 5, 2012

LONE TRAINING
“Then [Samuel] asked Jesse, ‘Are these all the sons you have?’
“Jesse answered, ‘I still have the youngest son. He is out taking care of the sheep.’
“Samuel said, ‘Sends for him. We will not sit down to eat until he arrives.’”
I Samuel 16:11

I will be honest with you and admit that I am an introvert. I am the kind of person who is shy and hesitant to do much of anything that will bring attention to me. The people I work with or my close friends and family may know me different, but it only because I have found in them a security that allows me to break out of my shell. However, while being an introvert can help me in the way of protecting me from rejection, it can also cause me to battle with feelings of loneliness. I find myself having more acquaintances than friends, and spending more nights alone at home than I care to admit.
As I woke up this morning to an empty house, I began to give thought to just this concept. I have no spouse, no girlfriend, and no potential girlfriend. My family is two states away and my children are with their mom this morning. Feelings once again of being lonely knock on the door with urgency, hoping that I will repeat my pattern and embrace them and feed them. But while I very easily could give in to this pattern, something is different today. It was while lying on my bed, not really praying but still sharing my heart with God, that I was encouraged. I was reminded of David in his young shepherd years.
After Saul was rejected as king for his partial obedience, Samuel was told by God to search for the home of Jesse and anoint the next king. When he arrived, Jesse placed before him his sons. Down the row Samuel went, looking over the young men and questioning God. Yet when he came to the last boy, he still had not found a peace as to who he was to anoint. So then, he asked Jesse if he had anymore sons. Jesse responded, “I still have the youngest son. He is out taking care of the sheep.” After calling for him to be brought in, they all waited. From here we know the rest of the story. David entered from the field and God told Samuel this was the one he was to anoint as the next king of Israel.
But let us fast forward one chapter and we read the account of Goliath’s taunting the army of Israel. David, who was coming only with the purpose of delivering supplies to his brothers, saw the giant and questioned why no one was opposing him. As David questioned the men, and was scolded by his angry brother, Eliab, he was brought before King Saul. To the king, David announced, “Don’t let anyone be discouraged. I, your servant, will go and fight this Philistine.” Rebuked by the king for being a boy, David took another stand and said, “I, your servant, have been keeping my father’s sheep. When a lion or bear came and took a sheep from the flock, I would chase it. I would attack it and save the sheep from its mouth.”
Now you may be questioning what my introvert characteristic has to do with David telling the king about his previous victories while watching sheep. That is a good question; and here is the answer. Those moments when I am alone and feeling lonely are the same moments when I find myself gravitating closer to God and being swept into His school of training. In those moments I find myself receiving the war strategies needed to slay the lions and bears that attack my home. Sure, I could mope around the house and have the attitude that no one cares, or I could take from these moments the needed lessons that will aid me in the next battle I will face. Truth be told, God is wanting to give us the strategies for defeating the enemy, but we have to make a point to get alone and listen. Many times I am found in the pasture of life, tending sheep. Still I know, when the giant comes he will be no more a match than the lion and bear God has already helped me to defeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...