Sunday, November 27, 2011

WARRIOR HEROES
“Following are the names of David’s warrior heroes…”
II Samuel 23:8

For the past two years I have been working on an idea for a book, taking the details of some historic events and leaders of the past, mixed with events and people in the Bible, all intermixed with lessons that God Himself has shown me. I am happy to say that I am so close to finishing. But of all the chapters and characters I have written about thus far, I have been most inspired recently by David’s warrior heroes. II Samuel 23 records for us the last words of David before he passes away and leaves Solomon to take his throne as promised. But after these words is found a list of warriors, individually named as David’s mighty men. There is debate as to the categories of these soldiers since they are named as the Three and the Thirty. The group of Three were specifically three, Josheb-Basshebeth the Tahkemonite, Eleazar, son of Dodai the Ahohite, and Shammah, son of Agee the Hararite. It is these three I want to look at today with you.
The first of the warrior-heroes who made up the Three is Josheb-Basshebeth. Josheb-Basshebeth, who some scholars believe is a translation error of the name Isbosheth or Ishbaal, who was King Saul’s son and heir, is described as being the leader (II Sam 23:8). It was he who killed 800 men in a single encounter, using only a spear.
Following him is listed Eleazar. Eleazar was said to have taunted the Philistines at Pas Dammim, much like Goliath of Gath had once done to Israel. The difference was the Eleazar was able to back up his taunt as God was on his side. When the army of Israel saw the Philistines charging at them, they all left. But Eleazar stood his ground. Fighting with God as his strength, he struck down one Philistine after another until his hand grew tired and froze to his sword. When the fight was done, the army of Israel rejoined Eleazar, but only to strip the dead men he had killed.
The last of the three is Shammah who is known for a fight over lentils. Again we read of the army of Israel fleeing the scene when the Philistines arrive, but Shammah stood his ground. In the middle of the field Shammah planted his feet and began defeating the Philistines that attacked him. The Lord brought about a great victory that day and the Philistines that were left went home lentil-less.
What was it that drove these men to fight for David? And what strength did these men possess? To take out 800 men with a spear, to defeat an army with a tired hand, or to stand in a field and defend your ground when all other have left takes courage. But it takes something else as well. It takes the true grit of knowing that God is on your side. These men fought for Israel and fought for King David because they saw God’s hand on him. They wanted to stand in the blessing that God was pouring out over David. To them the Philistines were a curse, and the curse needed to be broken. So ultimately, with God as their strength, they were able to do the impossible. With each thrust that Josheb-Basshebeth took, God directed his point. With each swing that Eleazar had the strength to start, God finished. And with each strike that Shammah leaned in with, God allow him to collect bodies. These men knew that the battle was God’s and gave Him the glory. It is for this reason that God gave them the victory.
These exploits were only able to happen because of God. When David’s men joined with him under God’s banner and for God’s purpose, victory was theirs. And the same is true for us. In my life I have ventured in fighting a number of battles on my own. I have gone out on the field before without the blessing and covering of God. It is no wonder I have failed as I have been fighting for me rather than fighting for the King, for God. But in taking the lessons of defeat from fighting alone, I so clearly see how once again I can do nothing on my own. It is God who gives me strength, God who gives me courage, and God who finishes my blow when I have only the strength left to start a punch. I want to be a warrior hero for God, but it starts in giving my allegiance fully to Him, putting my faith wholly in Him, and praising only Him. These are the beginning weapons of being a warrior for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...