Saturday, November 12, 2011

AT THE POTTER’S HOUSE
“Then the word of the LORD came to me: ‘O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?’ declares the LORD. ‘Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.’”
Jeremiah 18:5-6

About a month ago I shared with you my most recent experience with watching a piece of pottery being made. It was at the county fair that I stopped in at an exhibit and watched a demonstration where the lady was working to create pottery. Lining the shelves were finished products, but on the wheel was a new creation being formed. I remember watching her throw a slab on clay on her wheel and gently push the peddle down to create speed. As the whole lump began to spin faster and faster, she used her fingers to indent and form this blob into something more. Within only a short few minutes a bowl was formed, perfect in every way and ready to be dried by the heat of the sun. She had taken what was void of form and in her own way, breathed life into it making her own unique dish. But how many dishes were made before that for some reason were not seen as perfect? I know for myself that I tend to see myself as a perfectionist in some areas. When I do my paintings, and even when I type these devotionals, I will sit for as long as needed to make sure I am producing a great piece.
Yet going back to the potter, if she was to begin making an item and found that it wasn’t shaping as she hoped, her next step would be to start over. She wouldn’t have to start over with fresh clay, though, just take the clay she was using and form it back into a ball to start fresh from. In reading the account of Jeremiah visiting the potter’s house, I see the same idea. Jeremiah followed God’s leading and found himself at the potter’s house receiving his next message. As he watched the potter at work, he watched the clay being crafted. But it wasn’t shaping as the potter wanted, so he started over until finally it held the shape that seemed best to the potter. It was then that God spoke. “‘O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?’ declares the LORD. ‘Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel’” (Jer 18:6).
It is said that He is the potter and we are the clay. Lyrics of an old song I would sing in church went on the state, “mold me and make me, this is what I pray.” As I have grown over the last three to four years, this idea has indeed been my prayer. I have found myself many days looking in the mirror. There are some days that I like hate who I see, knowing the person I have become. And there are days that I look and enjoy who I see, again knowing who I have become. But one thing is constant. Whether a bad day or a good day, this prayer of mine is always the same. “God make me more like you.” I can see on those bad days how desperately I need God. Yet I can see it also on those good days when even at my best I still have so far to go to match His reflection.
The words God spoke for Jeremiah to give to Israel are the words I feel He is asking me. “O Daniel, can I not do with you as this potter does? Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Daniel.” I know what this entails. I know that it means that every piece of me that does not reflect God needs to be reworked. I know the pain that will come from this remolding. But I also know that unless I allow God the opportunity to perfect me, then I will only be a deformed piece of pottery. I want to be in His image, be His reflection, and be His masterpiece. This will not happen if I do not yield myself over to the Great Potter.
Perhaps you have days like me, where one day you hate who you see and the next day love who you see. Maybe like me, though, you also realize that a great day still only reflects how much more you need the reshaping that God alone can do. He is asking you, as He is me, if He can please remake you, remold you, refashion you into His image. I cannot make this choice for you. But know that His desire for you is best. Will you allow the Potter to place you back on His wheel and craft you into His image?

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...