Wednesday, November 23, 2011

THE VISIBLE HAND OF ADONAI
“They answered, ‘We saw very clearly that Adonai has been with you; so we said, “Let there be an oath between us: let’s make a pact between ourselves and you that you will not harm us, just as we have not caused you offense but have done you nothing but good and sent you on your way in peace. Now you are blessed by Adonai.”’”
Genesis 26:28-29

Just yesterday we read of a scuttle breaking out over wells that Abraham had dug prior to his death. It was a deep subject. But when Isaac came to reclaim what belonged to his family he found the wells stopped up and filled with dirt. At this, he was told to leave the area by Abimelech. Was the action taken by the Philistines based on jealousy? In Genesis 26:13 we are told that Isaac became rich and prospered more and more. It is possible then that the stopping of the wells was based on the people of the land not seeing the same degree of increase and blessing as Isaac was. Still, it could also be based on the fact that the people coveted. Seeing what God was doing for Isaac could have made the people covet Isaac’s land. The way to get that land that was already showing signs of prospering was to get Isaac and his people off it.
This portion of the story makes me chuckle, I will admit. I think it amusing to see that the very people that told Isaac to move away were now the very people coming back to him and asking him to make a covenant, or pact with them. They saw God’s hand on him when he was there, and in some ways I am sure they all benefited from his being there. This was true with the Ark of the Covenant, where we read that in a failed effort to try and move the Ark, David had it remain for three months in the house of ‘Oved- ‘Edom the Gitti. While it was there, God blessed the household and all he had (I Chron 13:14). So could it be that the Philistines recognized the same thing?
By forcing Isaac to move away, I wonder if the people set themselves up for hard times. History shows this to be true. When the law was passed to separate church and state, removing not only prayer, but the Ten Commandments from being posted in public schools, the affects that followed showed an increase in everything negative. Removing God from the equation always sets downfall into place. So then I cannot help but think that removing Isaac, who carried with him the blessing and promise of God, brought for the Philistines a path paved with one destroying factor after another. And I cannot help but think that it is because of this truth that Abimelech came back to Isaac to make a covenant. He wanted back in; he wanted to be under that blessing once more that Isaac walked under.
I have to ask myself a few questions here. First, am I walking under the same blessing as Isaac? I know that God has a path for me to walk in and that He loves me, but am I walking in His covering of blessing? Do I find myself removing the very piece that holds the blessing, and then wondering why I am falling into destruction at every step? Have I removed God from my city, telling Him He is no longer welcomed? I sure hope not. But the great thing is, Genesis 26:30 states that Isaac prepared a feast share with him. The next morning, Isaac and Abimelech swore to each other. There was no more fighting breaking out during their time. This gives me hope, because even if I have removed God, the covenant can still be made in my asking for His forgiveness. A banquet is held and we come under His protection and blessing once more. I tell you the truth, there is no other god I want on my side than God, no other feast I want to be seated at than God’s, and no other blessing I want to know than that which God gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...