Monday, July 25, 2011

SOON
“Behold, I am coming soon!...”
Revelation 22:12

I do not like the word ‘soon’. We’ll let me take that back, I do not like what soon always means. Working in customer service I find that I use this word often. When a client needs an update I find myself remarking that I will get back to him or her soon. In my mind that means I will do my research and call back within the next hour or so. However, to others, the word ‘soon’ may not imply such a speedy response. When I am on the other end and am the one asking for an update to my issue and hear the reply that the representative will get back to me soon, it can mean anywhere from an hour to a few days. There is no true measurement for the word ‘soon’ and that is the reason I do not like this word. I am looking for some constant and pinpointed and many times ‘soon’ is too vague for me.
The same is true in Scripture when the word ‘soon’ is used. To the Israelites who would be in Egyptian bondage, God spoke to Abram, “Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a country not their own, and they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years” (Gen 15:13). At least the Israelites knew that they were going to be slaves for four hundred years. They had a definite number. But to the church in Revelation 22:12, the Lord says, “Behold, I am coming soon!” Soon? This revelation was written by John near the end of the first century and now here we are, almost two thousand years later, waiting for His return still. How long is soon? How many years must we wait for this return that was spoken of to be a ‘soon’ event?
I think back to my own life and the prophecies that have been spoken to me over the years. At around the age of ten it was prophesied that I would be a pastor. I took all the steps I felt God leading me in by going to seminary and getting the education of the Bible needed for this calling. But still, I have not been released into this passion. I have also received prophecies that I would remarry soon, move into new areas both physical and spiritual soon, and step into leadership soon. Yet I must admit that it seems like nothing has happened to bring these ‘soon’ words into place. Have I missed God? Was I hearing what I wanted to hear instead of the voice of God? Or could it be that God’s timing is different than mine? I even wonder if I would mess up God’s whole plan concerning my next steps if I knew the timeframe as opposed to the word ‘soon’.
We have no record in the Bible of any leaders within the Israelite slaves that tried to rise to power and free God’s chosen people before the four hundred year process was completed. But when the time was right, Moses came on the scene. I can only assume that it is the same with me. I can only ponder how much more trouble I would get myself in if I tried to play God and work from my definition of ‘soon’ as opposed to His. There are lessons that I need to learn before the prophecies can come true, and it would be wise of me to embrace them instead of trying to figure out how much longer until ‘soon’ comes around. While it may not be the answer I want since there is no definite date for the ending, it is the answer I am getting, and the answer I need to heed. Maybe like me, you too are wondering when ‘soon’ will be reality. I wish I could tell you, but for now I can only tell you…soon enough. Until then, let us run with passion toward our God and embrace all He has for us in this moment. Soon will come when God is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...