Wednesday, July 20, 2011

IN THE FUTURE
"Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."
James 4:13-14

I remember when the movie series Back to the Future came out and they showed some behind the scenes footage. As they were talking about the idea of what car to use to make the time machine, the director was sharing that while growing up he remembered the promise about making flying cars. He questioned, "What ever happened to that promise?" I must admit, I have wondered too. Granted I may never buy a flying car, I'd still like to know what happen to the idea and promise that flying cars would be common place by this time. More important to me than a flying car, though, is my own future. I question my next steps and have been questioning them even more so on this recent vacation I have been on.
Since my college years I have wanted to live in Texas. I remember one night while in the Prayer Gardens in college when God told me I would have a big ministry and therefore needed a big place to have it in, so Texas always stood out and became where I wanted to go. Following my marriage in 1998, I moved to Montana where my wife was already settled, and then moved to Tennessee in an effort to follow her dreams. Although I have lived in Tennessee for 13 years now, I have never considered it home. When the chance came to help my mom move from California to Texas this past week, I jumped at the opportunity. She was moving to the place I wanted to call home for so many years. And being here in Texas this week has been a series of ups and downs for me. I have no problem telling you that my morning walks have been filled with tears and emotion as I have prayed and asked God over and over these days, "When will it be my turn?" I am jealous because what became a dream come true for my family this week is still only a dream for me.
Growing up I remember hearing a song by the Christian trio First Call where the words said, "I may not know what the future holds but I know who holds the future." As cliche as these words may sound, they are becoming my understanding this week. In a simular sense, the words of James 4:13-14 are also being reminded as I pray. "Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." The simple truth is that I do not know the full extent of what my future holds. I know maybe a small fraction of what God will do through me from the words He has spoken and confirmed in my heart, but not being God I cannot say whether what I want to have happen will ever happen. I find myself then waiting in Godly limbo for His timing.
I have shared my desire to move with people and have heard them question why I just don't move now. There is a reason. God has not released me to move yet. James 4:13-14 is based not two key factors I believe, trust and obedience. I could go to Texas now, but I know that I would be out of God's will in moving at this point. I have to trust that God will pave a smooth road in His time which will include me being able to bring my children, have a job, a place to live, the whole works. Right now all I have is the desire; the dream. If I step ahead of God I will not find His peace, and I do not want to move even one step in life without God's peace.
As hard as trust in God can be, it is what I am called to at this point. Is staying in Tenessee really what I want? No, but it is what god is asking me to do right now until He works out all the details. And in some way, it may be what He is asking you to do also. Perhaps you have considered changing jobs, changing locations, or changing spouses. I challenge you to ask yourself the same question I have been asking of myself this week. Is this God's time? Today or tomorrow we could do it. We could spend a year and carry on business, make money, and enjoy a new life. But before we do all that we must ask God if it is the right time; His time. Remember, in His time all things are made perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...