Monday, December 17, 2012

WALKING THE PATH
“There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.”
Proverbs 14:12

Not too long ago I was out walking on a trail over by my home. There is a place where, about a mile in or so, the road splits. Now it doesn’t split for a long stretch, but there is a difference in the terrain at the split. If one goes to the left the path remains steady and even. But if one goes to the right there is an extra curve or two, as well as both a down slope and a climb back up to meet with the even path. Back a few years ago when Nashville suffered from a flood, however, the path to the right was not a choice. The path was underwater. While the water may not have been deep enough to drown a person, I dare say the mud and muck that had washed up over the trail may have caused some issues that would have at least posed a threat to any who risked taking the road to the right.
We read in Proverbs 14:12 that there is a road that seems right at first but in the end leads to death. In other words, there is a road that people take, thinking carelessly will be alright and still work out in the end. In a way we see this thought in the Bible around the time of the Judges, and in many cases following. The people began to do what was right in their own eyes, forsaking the ways that God had established. But each time the people moved out from under God’s established ways and paths, the people found themselves in a pickle. How many times do we see this very detail in the Torah? Better yet, how many times do we see this very concept in following history and seeing the captivity of God’s people? It was never God’s intention that His people become the property of Babylon, but their lack of following His ways opened the door for path to death.
Recently I started dating and have found myself falling head over heels for a special someone. I venture to say boldly that she is a gift from God and that we are in a true state of love. In our meetings we find ourselves kissing and holding hands quite frequently. Now I would be untruthful if I said that I did not want more, but I know that path. I know that choosing to forego the commands of God in relation to intimacy outside of marriage is wrong. And I say this not only because her mother reads my devotionals and I want to look like the good guy. I say this because the desire is there to do what is right in my own eyes, but the command of God overrides desire. I can go the way of the world and share physical love before it is time, but will it not in time end in death? Sure, probably not a physical death, but something will die. I am reminded of a quote I heard from Larry Huch who said, “We curse marriage by having sex before marriage, and we curse marriage by taking sex out of marriage.” I am not sorry for this, but I must agree. And because I agree, I cannot risk the pleasure of sin knowing that it will lead to death.
Am I sharing this to be a saint? No. I am sharing this because I am saddened by how many of us call ourselves followers of God, yet do not do His will. That includes me. Praying and seeking His guidance these days seems like the negative thing to do – especially in a society where we are supposed to care only for ourselves. We are blinded. We are blinded by the shiny, by the bling, by the dollar signs, and as a result we follow our own desires. But I warn you, as God has been warning me, that our ways will lead in death. I do not want to see us on that path. I urge you then, in light of Proverbs 14:12, to forsake the way that seems right to you, and instead go the way that is right according to God. His way is the way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...