Friday, November 2, 2012

THE VOICE part 3
“The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, ‘Samuel! Samuel!’
“Then Samuel said, ‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’”
I Samuel 3:10

I have been a father now for ten years and I must admit, I love it. I love the hugs, the homemade gifts and drawn pictures, the way they call my name and need my help. This list could go on and on. But with the good times come the bad. There are a few pieces I do not like about fatherhood as well. I am not a big fan of cleaning up their toys, not a big lover of de-germing the bathroom after a stomach bug spell, and I’m not big on how disciplining them makes me feel afterward. Those things honestly do hurt me more than it hurts them. Yet still, I wouldn’t trade my role as their father. There is nothing that compares to my children coming to me asking for advice, or to have me read a book to them, or just to snuggle. It is in these times I am able to share with them and they are quiet enough to listen. But it takes the being quiet to hear. Trust me, this is a lesson I have learned firsthand.
In I Samuel 3, Samuel as well learned the value of listening. This book in the Bible starts out with Hannah, a barren woman, seeking to have a child. While visiting the city of Shiloh for the family’s yearly sacrifice, Hannah was met by the priest, Eli, who in the end advised her that God had heard her prayer for a son. Keeping her word to God, once Samuel was weaned she took him to Eli as promised. The child began ministering under the direction and leadership of Eli and continued on for some time. Now the Bible points out in I Samuel 3:1 that in those days the voice of God rarely spoke. Perhaps that reason alone is what makes this account so awesome, because God chose to speak to Samuel.
Now at first, Samuel did not know the voice of God verses the voice of man. When Samuel heard a voice calling his name, he quickly got up and ran to Eli’s side, thinking it was he who had called. But it wasn’t. Samuel then left Eli’s side and went back to bed. But the voice was heard again, and again Samuel got up and went to Eli’s side, asking why he called. Again the old priest stated he had not called for the boy. A third time Samuel was awakened by the voice, and a third time he rushed to Eli only to be told that Eli was not calling him. It was then, however, that the light bulb came on. Eli realized that the voice Samuel was hearing was the voice of God. Giving instruction to Samuel of how to respond should it happen again, the boy went back to lie down.
God called out a fourth time to Samuel, and at this beckoning Samuel responded, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” It is in this back and forth that I find myself. How so, you may wonder? Well like Samuel I hear a voice calling to me, but I am not always sure where the voice is coming from. I am getting better at discerning the voice, but I am still not the greatest at it. There are times I will hear a voice and think it is God when really it is my flesh, and there are times when I hear a voice and think it is my flesh only to learn later it was God prompting me. Back and forth I go when in reality I just want to hear from God without myself getting in the way. Is this possible? I believe so, if…
In John 10:22-27, as Jesus was celebrating Chanukah (the Feast of Dedication), the Jews gathered around Him and asked that He plainly tell them if He was or was not the Christ. His response to them was He had told them and they did not believe. He then explained that His sheep listen and follow. That is the answer. Is it possible to hear from God without me getting in the way? Yes, but only when I as his sheep know his voice. I can’t know of His voice, or be told via someone else what He said. I, me, Dan, need to know His voice for myself. You need to know His voice yourself. Every other voice is hot air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...