Saturday, June 25, 2011

POWER BEHIND PRAYER
“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.”
Matthew 18:19-20

This week I have been finding myself spending more time in prayer. It isn’t that I have a special time designated for praying, although there is nothing wrong with that and I may want to consider a more routine time, but I have felt an urge to pray at different times. In a few cases it has been a thought that comes to my mind and I feel this push to pray right then. At other times I am triggered by something I see or news that I hear and instantly I move into prayer mode. And I have found myself praying for events, family, friends, and yes even you the reader on occasion this week. But not wanting to be foolish or pray aimlessly, I took it upon myself to study a little more concerning prayer within the last few days. While my research is not done, and honestly I am not sure it ever can or will be, I would like to share a few thoughts with you today from what God is making evident to me concerning the power behind prayer.
In reading further in the book, Pray Walking, the author reflects on a trip taken to Benin, Africa, the birthplace of voodoo and the capital of fetish religion within Africa. His group consisted of strong Christians, solid in their faith and active in ministry. Yet each member got attacked to some level, whether by nightmares, sickness, or other tests. It was then that he made the realization that, “those who pray best are those who are prayed for the most.” I let that idea stay in my mind after reading it because the revelation of it seemed too weighty to let go. Then I began to think back over my mission experiences and life in general. I saw it as true. I can honestly say that I am here still today because someone took the time to pray for me. Someone prayed that I would not give into the devil, that I would not forsake God, and that I would heed His voice. Because I have been prayed for, by family, friends, and countless others I may never know about, I am here still.
This new thought got me thinking about who I pray for. I know many who are in bondage and need help, both Christian and non-Christian alike, but what am I doing to back up their prayers? With this thought in mind, I recalled Matthew 18:19-20, where Jesus says, “Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” The word that comes to mind is agreement. Jesus is saying in this verse that when we agree on something and ask for something that is in God’s will, God’s agreement is also in it. Still, look with me at the word ‘agree’. The word in Greek is SUMPHONEO, which means all together. It is also from this word that we have the word symphony or concert. When we come together in agreement on earth, believing in God and praying His ways, then we are in symphony with Him. As an old choir boy I can respect more what this verse means now because I know the power that comes for the sound of voices in unison and perfect blend. It is a sound that can soothe the nerves or bring one to tears.
My hope is that as you have read these words today you too will realize that there is power in prayer, and God works through our prayers. It is because of this that I do not want to pray aimlessly anymore, just as I do not want to be the sound that is off key in the symphony. I want to back others up in my prayers and be that extra boost through my prayers that strengthens one in need. I want the things on my heart to be the things on God’s heart. Most importantly, I want to be one who prays God’s heart into action.
If you’ll excuse me, now, I’m being called to the stage to sing in unison with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...