Sunday, June 12, 2011

A PAIR OF JUDAS’
“…Judas, son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor.”
Luke 6:16

Confession time. It wasn’t until I was in college that I realized that the Gospels were written after the events of Jesus and not during. Growing up I thought that Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were walking around with notepads recording the events of Jesus as they took place. But then while sitting on my bed studying for New Testament Survey one Saturday during my freshman year, I read this verse and the light bulb came on. How could Luke know Judas Iscariot was a traitor if he hadn’t traded Jesus in for silver yet? From that time forward I began to read the Bible not as events unfolding, but rather as events that had unfolded. Reading it in this context makes a lot more sense.
So now with my confession out of the way, let us take a minute to look at the lives of the two disciples named Judas. It is true we know more about Judas Iscariot than of Judas, son of James, but that doesn’t make the son of James any less important. Like with Bartholomew, Judas also had a name change as in two Gospels he is known as Thaddaeus. Nothing much is recorded concerning either name apart from him being in the list of disciples. However, we do find him named again in John 14:22 where it is recorded, “Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, ‘But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?’” The conversation Judas was having with Jesus in the presence of all the disciples stemmed out of Jesus’ words on obedience. It is the person who does as Jesus commands and obeys them that shows love to Jesus and the Father. In return, it is this person that Jesus will show Himself to (Jn 14:21). It is recorded that Judas was not a martyr for the gospel but rather died in his sleep. According to Hippolytus, Judas preached to the people of Edessa and all Mesopotamia before falling asleep at Berytus and being buried there. The mark of Jesus burned on his heart and he preached the Good News until he finally rested in the Lord’s presence once again. How awesome this example, and seen by others still today such as Billy Graham. Until his last breath he continued to preach Christ. This is my goal, my desire. I want the last words spoken from my mouth to be those of the sinner’s prayer as I lead someone else into a relationship with my Lord.
Unlike Judas, we know all the details of Judas Iscariot. It was this disciple who is said to have been offended when the woman poured the greatly priced perfume on Jesus’ feet. It is this disciple who met secretly with those who wanted to kill Jesus, therefore reducing the life of the Savior to a measly thirty silver coins. And it is this disciple who felt the guilt of his actions and under the pressure hung himself. Yet it is this disciple I fear we relate to the best. I hate to say it, but I feel it is true. How many times are we so easily offended or covetous of someone else’s things. How many times do we casually say, I’d give such and such for that. I have said it and truly thought about it. Like in the Klondike commercials, what would we do for the chance to get ahead? We have this inner hatred toward Judas, but in many ways he is the unlucky soul for what we truly contemplate. I read a book once titled, The Gospel of Judas, that began with the earthquake following Jesus’ death and brought dead people back to life. It plants the idea of what would have happened if Judas was one of those. With head cocked to the left and rope still wound around the neck, Jesus confronts him. Before Jesus has the chance to speak Judas is in tears begging for forgiveness. And then when Jesus does speak He loving embraces Judas and says, “I forgive you.” The lesson I learn personally from the life of Judas is that my actions, even in one single act of sin, have the ability to betray Jesus. I do not enjoy that feeling or want it to continue. I am so grateful that He forgives.
Devotion, the giving of our all to Jesus, is not easy. There will be times when we will fall, mess up, and go our own way. Yet I have learned that Jesus is always there. He is one prayer of forgiveness away. We do not have to live under the guilt and shame of our pasts because He forgives our past when we call out to Him. But as Romans says, we should not sin simply because we have His forgiveness (Rom 6:14). Once we come into relationship with Jesus, our lives need to reflect Him. We need to put aside our homemade death sentence like Judas Iscariot failed to do, and instead embrace the fact that we are forgiven and move forward preaching the Gospel until our dying breath like Judas, son of James did. I ask you to consider just which Judas your life will shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...