Thursday, May 12, 2011

NO “I” IN TEAM
“Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.”
John 15:4

When I was in high school, back many moons ago, I remember walking through the gym one afternoon during a girl’s volleyball practice. I can’t remember exactly why I chose to pass through the gym as opposed to going around it, but I do remember seeing something that has never left me. The shirts that the team was wearing during practice read, “There is no ‘I’ in TEAM.” I read that casually while walking by, intent on getting to my destination. Yet the more I re-read that phrase over and over in my head, the more it made sense. And the phrase still plays in my head many moons later. In fact, it plays more often these days than it ever has before as God continues to show me that He and I make a team. I am nothing without Him; not even a team.
When I think of the word “TEAM”, I think of a unit of individuals working in unison for a common goal. Take football for example. The quarterback, despite his ego, cannot perform every action. A play would last not even a second if the quarterback had to hike to himself, block for himself, throw to himself, catch for himself, and finally score for himself. Because of this he has a team of others who all work these functions along with him. I think of Nascar the same way. Can you image how the race would turn out if the driver had to get out of the car each time he needed gas or tires. A pit stop that can last between twelve to twenty seconds during any given race would turn out to last ten minutes plus if the driver had to perform every action. Yet why is it that we have this notion that we are able to perform each Christian task void of a teammate in God?
In John 15:1, Jesus refers to Himself as the true vine and His Father as the gardener who prunes the branches that do not bear fruit. In verse 3 He tells the disciples, and in essence us also, that they are already clean because of the word He has spoken. But John 15:4 is where I want us to look a little deeper for the next minute or so. Jesus states, “Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.” These words reflect again that we are powerless on our own. No matter how good I think I am, I am not. Outside of a connection with Him I am no better than the quarterback with the ego issues thinking I am the team’s secret weapon. While granted I may have some talents, my talent will only excel when used along with the talents of others on my team.
An example I can give from my own life comes from the missions trips I went on while in college. Many came to Christ, but it wasn’t me that brought others to a relationship with Him. No, it was our team who worked in the direction God was leading us that opened the door for God to work on the hearts of the people and draw others close to Him. I was a team member with others and God. Truthfully, I still find myself wanting to take credit in life for anything good that happens. But the reality is that I have nothing good and lasting to offer anyone. It is God in me, whom I have decided to team up with, that allows me to excel. But read that last sentence again. It is God in me, whom I have decided to team up with. God doesn’t team up with me. I must team up with Him. His team is undefeated. But if I go it alone I will surly know defeat. The key is to put myself out of a couching position, as well as out of an ego driven quarter back position, and grab one of His jerseys, therefore placing myself on His team. My team was called “Me, Myself, and I”. His team is called “Nothing Apart From God”. There is no “I” in His TEAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...