Thursday, December 16, 2010

NO LOOKING BACK
“But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.”
Genesis 19:26

The first family dog that I can remember growing up was Tandy. Tandy was a golden retriever mix that had been a birthday gift for my dad. She came from the shelter as a cute little furry puppy and instantly found a place in the family. Outside of the memories of playing together in the backyard, I also remember that she would jump up on and over the fence. Now please understand that our backyard fence was about four feet tall, so it was easy for her to escape. This in fact is what she would do many nights. In the morning we would wake up to knocked over trash cans in the area of where she had ventured off to during the night. It was only a matter of time before neighbors began to complain.
A decision had been made by my parents that rather than building a taller fence, we would look to find a new home for Tandy. Now, just a few years later, we were headed back to the shelter to offer her up for adoption once again. I was saddened. Of course I understood as best I could as a youngster, but it still took a toll on me. With Tandy bathed and ready to go, I got in the car with my mom and we took the long tearful drive. When we arrived at the shelter, I walked with her back to the boarding area for one last hug. The lady assisting assured me that she would be in good hands and that a new owner would be found soon. But as I got back on my feet, and headed to the door, I turned to take one more look. I did not want to let her go.
I share this emotional memory with you not to make you cry, but rather to bring up a point. There are times when looking back to say goodbye is fine, as in the case with Tandy or when saying goodbye to loved ones. But then there are also times when we look back not to say goodbye, per se, but rather because we do not want that season to be done. Let me explain.
In Genesis 19, two angels of the LORD arrive at Sodom with the charge of evacuating Lot and his family before the upcoming destruction. But of the sin that harvested within Sodom and Gomorrah, God made the decision to rain burning sulfur on the cities. Because of Abraham’s plea, Lot and his family were to be spared. Lot gathered his wife, daughters, and attempted to gather the daughters’ pledged men, but the men thought it was only a joke. With time short, Lot then left with only his wife and girls. They quickly set out for the small city of Zoar as God’s fury began to fall.
Only one major demand was made of Lot and his family. “Don’t look back.” It sounded easy and able to be accomplished, yet unfortunately it was not obeyed. As we read in verse 26, Lot’s wife looked back. For her punishment, she became a pillar of salt. It is hard to say why she looked back. Theologians have different answers. Maybe she looked back because she remembered something at home. Perhaps she looked back to see if others had realized it was not a joke and were now following. But for now, let us say that she looked back because she did not want to give up the sin of the city. We know little about Lot’s wife, but I am concerned that if Lot was so quick to offer his daughters to the perverted people (Gen 19:8), could he have also at one time offered his wife? Or could it be that although maybe not a member in that lifestyle, she was still curious as to what she may be missing? I cannot answer that.
What I can answer for is for myself. How many times has God told me to flee from a sinful place to a place of safety? How many times have I come before God to say I am sorry for my sin, only to be involved in it again within a few days? I am no better than Lot’s wife. I should a pillar of salt as well. Look with me at the words of Matthew Henry concerning this verse and the command to not look back.

“Such commands as these are given to those who, through grace, are delivered out of a sinful state and condition. Return not to sin and Satan. Rest not in self and the world. Reach toward Christ and heaven, for that is escaping to the mountain, short of which we must not stop.”

I ask myself, where is it I have stopped? Have I ran to the hills and away from the danger as God has commanded me? Or have I started out toward the hills, but then decided to look back because I did not want to truly let go? We have read it before, “The wages of sin is death (Rom 6:23). Lot’s wife learned this first hand. Let us not learn the same way. Let us not look back in longing for our sin, but rather embrace the eternal life that God offers to a sinner, saved from destruction, and moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...