Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A GREAT MIRACLE HAS HAPPENED
“I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.”
Psalm 77:11

The final day of Chanukah is here; tonight we light the eighth candle. The story of Chanukah has now been told, and you and I are now able to see the significance of this holiday. Hopefully I have been able to explain the history of this holiday to you, as well as the deeper meanings behind the miracles that took place. There is one more piece of Chanukah, however, that deserves some attention before we end our lesson together.
When shopping in Target on Black Friday, I noticed just the slightest end cap section of blue and silver decorations. There, hanging on the hooks and stacked within the shelves, were dreidels, gelt, miniature menorahs, and boxes of candles. We have already discussed the reason and importance of the menorah and candles, but what is the significance of the dreidel and gelt?
As I sit here now and watch my dreidel spin, I cannot help but become excited. What Hebrew character will it land on? Will it be נ (nun), and I will receive nothing? Or will it be ג (gimel), and I will be able to inherit the entire fortune? It could land on ה (hey), where I will have to be content with half the fortune. Or at worst, I could have to place another piece of gelt back into the pot if I land on ש (shin). In any case, the excitement continues to grow as now the dreidel begins to run out of speed and comes to an end. For me, the end result is נ. I receive no extra chocolate on this spin.
It is said that this Jewish tradition came about during the time the Syrians began to oppress the Jews. As the Torah and its study were banned, secret groups of children and scholars would make their way into the forest. A sentry would be posted to keep look out for any opposing soldiers while the lessons were given. At any time encroachment was feared, the sentry would alert the hidden party. By the time the Syrians approached the undercover school, the books would have disappeared and the children would be found playing with their dreidels.
The dreidels at that time did not have the Hebrew characters on them. That came about after the Maccabees had defeated the Syrians and the temple was restored. But the dreidel has become more than just a game, it has become a remembrance. In the letters of נ ג ה ש we are told a story of God’s wonders. The characters are the first characters of the words Nes Gadol Hayah Sham – A Great Miracle Happened There. The miracle of Chanukah is two-fold. That God could use such a small group of unswerving men to defeat a vast army is a miracle. The fact that one day’s worth of oil could last for eight days is a miracle. All through history, with each attempt made to wipe out the Jewish race, God has brought His protection for His people, and that too is a miracle.
As I sit here spinning my dreidel once more, I am growing anxious once again. What Hebrew character will it land on? My dreidel loses speed and falls flat on the table. I see the ג. I have won it all. But I have won something grander than all the chocolate gelt. I have won the same gift that Joseph brought to his brothers while he reigned second in command in Egypt. I have gained the same gift that Esther brought to her people after approaching the king. I have inherited the same gift that the prophets so boldly declared, even with death starring them in the face. I have obtained the miracle of life and I have won the miracles of God in my own life. Nes Gadol Hayah Sham.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...