Tuesday, December 29, 2009

FOCUSING THE VIEW
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:21

Have you ever looked through a telescope before? My son got one for Christmas this past week and that night we were both anxious for the sun to go down so we could see the moon and stars. We had been practicing during the day, looking at trees far off, birds that managed to stop long enough for us to find, and whatever else looked distant. But as the sun finally set, we were getting a little discouraged. It was looking to be a cloudy night. We waited, and waited, and attempted, but still the sky was filled with clouds. After some time, though, we finally got our chance. The clouds were moving out and we saw our payday...the moon.
At first it looked like a big blurry blob, no different than someone shining a flashlght in your eye. But as we had learned during the day, we had to focus. We had to twist the knobs and line up the view to rid the blur. When we finally had it set, though, we were able to see the details clearly. It was a moment I will not forget, sharing time with my son and seeing the etched craters and shadows cast on the moon itself.
I have been praying the past week for what God is telling me concerning 2010, and the word I hear for myself is FOCUS. As I prayed and considered this word, I was reminded of my son's telescope. We used it to view things far off, bringing them close so we could focus on their detail. But as I stayed with God on this thought He began to show me that it is time I go deeper with Him, and focus on His detail. Over the past two years since my divorce began its process, I have been learning to cope again a single, and have tried to start up a relationship or two. However, as this year has begun to wind down, I have felt more and more that God wanted me to Himself. How can I focus on the moon if the knobs are not adjusted right? But then how can I focus on God if I am not adjusted to His settings.
In Matthew 6:21, Jesus tells us that our treasure is where our heart is. For so long I have been lonely and wanting, and honestly my heart has not been focused. My treasure has pivoted between a relationship with a lady and a relationship with God. When I am alone, I want company. When I have company, I forget about God. I hate that this has been true, but it is. So hearing the word FOCUS is right on target for me. It is time I focus on God and go deeper with Him. It is time I adjust my knobs in my relationship with God and see the awe and wonder in His detail. I know from experience that I will not be let down when I look at His awesomeness.
I cannot say that the word FOCUS is the word for you as well, but I can tell you that you will not be disappointed if you resolve to focus on God. Steven Curtis Chapman sings one of my all time favorite songs, Magnificent Obsession. I have always loved the tune. But as I was thinking about the song today, and reflecting on the words, it became more of my prayer than just a song. So I close this blog and this year with this, my prayer and perhaps yours.
This is everything I want
This is everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...