Tuesday, December 22, 2009

BUT EVEN IF HE DOES NOT...
"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

This past weekend for me was one of remembrance. The headlines spoke of the passing of Oral Roberts. Although I never met him or personally shook his hand, he made an impact on my life. For me, the greatest memories of my time at Oral Roberts University were the quiet times when I would lay on the cement sidewalk and look up at the Praying Hands. I know it sounds weird, but every time I was there, God spoke to me. Every verse God quickened to my memory while there was concerning faith. I would look at those hands and hear God speak, "This is what I can do through a man who has faith."
I can only be honest and tell you that I waver in my faith at times. In my spirit I know God can do anything, but when I am face to face with my giants I tend to forget. I wonder how I would react if I were a Bible character. Would I have the faith of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego to stand up to the king? When the sound was heard and the command to bow was given, would I be one who kept standing? And then faced with the furnace, would I have the belief that God would deliver me? I would like to think so. These three had no fear. They flat out told the king, "God will save us! But if for some reason He doesn't, we still won't bow." Can I make the same confession, or will I shrink back?
God is looking for people of faith. The Bible shows us what God can do when people of faith are found. Nations are built, giants fall down, fire is defied, lions become full, walls are rebuilt, people are healed, and true salvation is found.
I may not have the same challenge in my life as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, but I do have my own gods that the world wants me to bow down to. The question is, will I? When the opportunity to cheat is present, will I cheat? When an offer is given by a woman for a night of 'fun', will I take it? If a lie will keep me out of trouble, will I tell it? Will I bow down to the gods that the world pushes in front of me, or will I, like these three, say, "I will obey God at all costs because He will save me. And if He doesn't, I will still do what is right."
God used Oral Roberts because he, like Noah, Abraham, Nehemiah, Daniel, and a host of others, feared God and obeyed. Was it hard? Probably. Was it worth it? You bet! God changes the world with those who have have the faith to obey Him. That's the person I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...