Thursday, January 8, 2009

THE CHARACTER of a SPONGE
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

I don't know about you, but when I was in college I made it a point to have fun. Sometimes that fun got in the way of studying, which never seemed to be a good idea come test time. I would hurry and do the quick overview study just minutes before the test and then pray for God's grace to cover my lack of preparation. In fact, my prayers would go something like, "God make me a sponge that soaks up this book, and then squeeze me out when it is test time." Funny thing about sponges, though, they only retain as much as they soak. Meaning in my case, my five minutes of study was quickly squeezed out.
If it is true, though, that when the sponge is wrung out it displays what was originally soaked up, then the question for all of us is what are we soaking up? Here in this passage, Paul tells us that our thoughts need to be on what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable. I can't speak for you, but I know sometimes that is my hardest struggle. My spirit wants to reflect God and His awesomeness all the time, but my flesh gets in the way. So when it is time for me to be wrung out, the product is an embarrasment. My squeezed character comes out looking like the dirty water of sin, anger, lack of patience, pride and selfishness, revenge, and maybe even a drop or two of hate. I say this in a funny way, but the truth is there. What we soak up is indeed what comes out when we are squeezed.
Here we are in a new year...2009. The year is still early and this challenge is so attainable. It is the same challenge I give to myself. In 2009 I want to be more Christlike. When Christ was squeezed, He still showed love and compassion. Even in times when He was tired and the crowds would not leave Him alone, He still made time for them. When I am tired and my kids need my attention, I split 50/50 between being compassionate and lacking patience. But I am resolving to be more Christlike. When life squeezes me, I want to be spilling back out His character. So how is that possible? Well one way is by getting in the Word. More and more I am realizing the importance of daily being in God's Word. And prayer. Prayer is one of our weapons of armor (Eph 6:18), yet for me seems to be mainly a dinner and bedtime thing. God wants us to reflect Him; God wants us to lead others to Him when we are squeezed. So I resolve to work on this. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...