Sunday, October 9, 2011

PEACE
“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
John 14:27

It was recently pointed out to me that I am under a rather large amount of stress. I’m not sure whether I fully agree with that statement or not, or that I am willing to admit the load I am under, but I do know for a fact that I am dealing with some stress. Work is getting busier, the puppy is still in training, the house seems as though it can never be clean, and the funds feel tight. I do my best to not let the issues of life get a hold of me, but there are some days when it truly feels as though I am about to get crushed under the weight of all that I am trying to up. I’m sure you know the feeling yourself.
While we may not have the same issues causing stress, the fact is we have all been subject to it at some point. I would like to think that it is because of this reason that Jesus spoke the words, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” When I hear this word ‘peace’, I automatically think of the word Shalom. While it does mean peace, it is a Hebrew word. This word in John 14:27 is the Greek word, EIRENE. The context is much the same, meaning an exemption from the rage and havoc of war, as well as security, safety, prosperity, and harmony.
These words were spoken in what is termed the final days of Jesus, right before His death and resurrection. Since we have the ability to see hind sight, we can see that Jesus was giving the disciples counsel before these events ever happened. He knew that although the disciples had followed Him, watched Him, heard His words concerning what was to come, they would still be afraid and doubt. As we read on in the account, we see this is true. The disciples didn’t what to think. Peter denied the knowledge of Christ in his fear. Thomas doubted Jesus’ resurrection until he could physically put his hands in the hands of Jesus.
The disciples were a mess. But the disciples reflect us. In our fear, our stress, our challenges, we too question how we are supposed to get to the next place, the next spot, or the next level. And the question that plays over and over in my mind is why, when I know what the outcome will be, do I continue to allow stress to rule me? I have the ability to see hide sight in reading the scriptures. I know the outcome, that Jesus came to bring peace.
As I continue to read past these first few words in this scripture I see the ultimate truth in Jesus’ words. “Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” Stress is nothing more than a fear. The fear of my job becoming more than I can handle, or my dog not being fully trained, or of my house being a little dirty, or my bills not being paid is what weighs me down. But it is to these fears that Jesus says, “Do not be afraid.” It is to these fears that Jesus speaks the word “Eirene.” So then, I must choose to sit under His Eirene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...