Sunday, October 23, 2011

EVEN ALONE
“Peter and the other apostles replied: ‘We must obey God rather than men!’”
Acts 5:29

Following the death and resurrection of the Messiah, the disciples began to preach the Good News of Christ as He had commanded them. They were to go into all the world, and so they did. However, there was much opposition. Many times the followers of Christ found prison or flogging being passed out freely to them for their preaching. Yet, so convinced in the command they had heard from their master, they continued to preach. They did not turn back when opposition met them, yet instead they pressed on. In fact, on one occasion found in Acts 5:29, when they had already been imprisoned for preaching and were being asked as to why they were breaking the rules, the disciples gave the following response. “We must obey God rather than men.”
There are commands that I believe God gives to us even today that we, instead of doing His will, cower in doing. Whether it be in fear or flat out defiance, we turn away from what He has commanded. The funny thing is that we find ourselves asking for His direction and assistance, yet fail to walk out the steps in which He has given us the direction for. This has been true in my own life. Just recently I have been dealing with an issue in where I find myself asking for God’s direction concerning dating. In some ways I want to date, both for my children’s sake and mine. I find myself concerned that they will not see enough of a two parent family and so I want to step out and date for their benefit. But then I also find myself struggling with the words God continues to tell me about seeking Him first.
I find myself asking God for His will and I hear it. He speaks clearly to seek Him and He will take care of the rest. He speaks clearly and I still question, still hesitate, and still fear. Why do I seek His answers if only to run away from His response? I recently re-watched a movie with this same question in it. I would like to share with you the words of wisdom that I heard and am working to heed.

The most important and most difficult spiritual test is the challenge of turning our lives over to God, but no decision can be more fulfilling. Inevitably something will happen that will make us realize that our own power is not enough to get us through these especially difficult times. Our personal power is limited but God's power is infinite. All that is required is one simple prayer - Not my will Lord, but yours. Why are we so afraid of turning our lives over to a greater will? Why do we seek guidance yet fear what that guidance will say to us? Because it means that I have to say to God that I accept whatever it is that you have chosen for me, and I trust that you will give me the strength to deal with it. There's an old hymn that says it far better than I can. “Though none go with me, still I will follow, no turning back no turning back.”

God is calling me to step out in faith and obey His will. As hard as it is, I must become resolute in what He is telling me. Even if I walk alone, I must walk as to be obedient in the ways He is telling me to go. I must set my eyes ahead toward the goal and decide now that there is no turning back. I must obey God over man, and in this case even over my own desires.

• From the film Though None Go With Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...