Friday, March 4, 2011

CANDLES
"'For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it.'"
Mark 8:35

Rome, 391 A.D. As the Romans were celebrating their victory over the Goths in the north, a peace-loving monk from the province of Asia quietly entered the city. He had no idea what lay ahead, only that God had told him to go to Rome, and out of obedience he went. Swept into the parading crowd of people, this monk by the name of Telemachus found himself pushed into the Coliseum. By this time, Constantine had already put an end to the death of Christians in the Coliseum, and gladiator contests had ceased some seventy years before, but by decree of Honorius as a celebration of Rome's victory, a retraction to the gladiator wars was declared. Telemachus looked out onto the vast dirt space of the Coliseum to see the warriors giving tribute before their fight to the death. Seeing the horror of battle, Telemachus ran out onto the arena's floor and yelled out, "In the name of Christ, stop! Don't despise God's mercy in turning away the sword of your enemies by murdering one another!" The crowd stopped, stunned if only for a moment before the old monk was struck by the butt of a sword in the stomach by one of the gladiators. Telemachus rose back from his doubled-over position and attempted to cease the fight once again. With the crowd worked up in a frenzy, they began to throw objects at the monk. Refusing to back down, the old man continued his plea before being stabbed through by an angry gladiator. Silence came over the crowd again, and this time it stayed. Slumping to his knees, with blood pouring out and life leaving, Telemachus declared once again, "In the name of Jesus, stop!" No one said a word. No one even moved for a while. Then, slowly, one by one, the arena began to empty. Never again were gladiator contests had in the Coliseum following this event.
In Mark 8, as Christ spoke to His disciples, and called the crowd to Him, He gave a challenge. Although given so many years ago, that challenge is still sitting in the balance, waiting for us to answer. Will we grab hold of it, or let it be taken by another? The challenge is this, if we want to be Christ's followers, we must deny ourselves, take up His cross, and follow Him. What does it profit us to gain status, riches, fame, and glory if in the process we lose our soul to the enemy who so desperately wants our soul? When will we, like Telemachus, rise up in the face of opposition and sin and risk our lives for what is right? Sure, it cost him his life, and it may cost us our lives also, but I say, "Bring it on. I am ready." I am willing to take a stand even if it means I must die for my beliefs. I am willing to stand in the shoes of Jim Elliot, Shahbaz Bhatti, and Telemachus if it means that Christ may be lifted up as a result of my sacrifice. I do not want to die, but I am ready to obey Christ in any and every area He calls me, no matter what the end result may be.
I realize I speak boldly, but I cannot help but look at the people who have gone before me and opened the door for my salvation. They are candles in a sea of salvation. Where there was no light, God put His flame in them and they lit up the world. Where darkness once ruled, God kindled their flame to a full on blazing forest fire that has yet to be quenched. Christ could not be quenched when He was on this Earth, He could not be quenched no matter how many times the disciples were stoned and jailed, He could not be quenched no matter how many died for the faith, and He cannot be quenched in me now. I am a result of the fire that He lit in the candles before me, and it is my mission to light many more candles before my life ends.
You may never be called on to chose between your faith and life, but if by some chance you were, how would you answer? You see, this is where saying you're a Christian and being a Christian separates us. For years I said I was a Christian but I did not really live like a Christian. We break it down now days like Christianity is a club to join. Whoo hoo, a free membership, and just for joining I got this really cool fire insurance policy. Why have we reduced it to so little? For those who hold the candles, those like the disciples, Paul, Joan of Arc, William Carey, Jim Elliot, David Livingston, and a host of others, Christianity was no game or club. These men and women took it seriously; serious enough to lay down their lives for it. These, and many others, are the candles that have fanned my flame.
This little light of mine...I'm gonna let it shine, let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...