Monday, September 7, 2009

SCARLET LETTER
"Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the LORD' - and you forgave the guilt of my sins."
Psalm 32:5

Written by Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter is a love story between a minister and a married woman sent ahead of her husband to America. When her husband does not follow in due time, she believes him dead. She pursues a relationship with the minister, but soon after realizes that her husband is not deceased afterall. Having already moved into this new relationship, she is destined to wear a scarlet "A" on her chest. The letter "A" represents the act of adultery that she committed and is to be a symbol of her sin for all to see.
While I am not promoting this book, I am able to relate to this book. For clarity sake, I did not commit adultry. But I did learn shortly after my divorce that people tend to look at me one of two ways. There are those who know the story, followed along, counseled me in the midst of, and understood when the final actions took place. But there are also those who feel like I did not do enough, gave up too easy, or maybe even had 'someone else' waiting in the wings. I have given up trying to convince people since they only believe what they want to anyway. But from friends and church, one thing is the same. I have been given my own scarlet letter. A "D" has been stamped on my chest because of my divorce.
I recently heard my pastor speak on John 8 concerning the woman caught in the act of adultry. The Pharisees came to Jesus with the woman in hand ready to stone her for her sin. This action was right according to the Law. But when they questioned Jesus, He simply knelt down and wrote the mystery words in the dirt. Jesus got back up and stated, "If anyone of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her" (Jn 8:7). From old to young, the people left till no one was there to stone her.
I am not saying that I was the perfect husband; believe me I know my faults and take my blame. And I am not here to smash the integrity of my ex wife. But I am here to challenge us as Christians. Too often we are too quick to judge and play the role of God. We slap a letter on other people's chests, but do we realize that we are wearing one too? Not all of us have committed adultry, or gotten a divorce, but we all have sinned. We all wear the letter "S" on our chests because we are all sinners. It is for this reason that Christ died for us. When we confess our sins, He forgives the guilt of our sins as stated here is Psalm 32. Christ's blood washes away our sins, and as a result we no longer have to walk around with scarlet letters on our chests.
I urge and encourage you today, to examine yourself. Are you wearing an "S" on your chest? If so, then like me, stop covering yourself and acknowledge your sin. Confess your sins to God. He will forgive you and cover your "S" with His blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...