Wednesday, July 8, 2015

BELIEVE YOU RECEIVE

“Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.”
Mark 11:24

I must admit that lately I have been awestruck with details I have been learning about the late George Mueller. Mueller was born in 1805 and passed in 1898, at the age of 92. He saw the great awakening first hand in 1859, worked alongside such ministers as D. L. Moody and Charles Spurgeon, and is said to be the inspiration for the missionary Hudson Taylor. However, what Mueller is best known for is the details of his life in Bristol, England, and the work he accomplished with the orphans there. It is said that he built five large orphan houses that accommodated for well over 10,000 orphans throughout his entire life. According to sources, Mueller stopped receiving a salary in the final 68 years of his life, praying that God would supply both his needs and for the needs of the orphanages. Converting currency, it is estimated that the equivalent of millions in today’s currency were prayed in for the needs, as he never took out a loan, and neither he nor the orphans were ever in lack.
Previous to my recent research on Mueller, I knew very little about this man of God. In reading about him and in pieces of his autobiography, it is said that Mueller shared his needs with no one but God, thus allowing his faith to grow in God’s provision. Still, it was only while reading through a study early this week that I read an account that challenged me in my faith, and I would like to share it with you.

“On another occasion, so the story goes, George Mueller was on his way to Canada to keep an appointment he was sure was in God’s will. As the ship which was bringing him from England entered the St. Lawrence River it ran into a heavy fog. George Mueller went to see the captain, a Christian friend of his. ‘Tell me, Captain,’ he said, ‘will we arrive in time for my meeting?’ The captain, looking out at the fog from the bridge, replied, ‘Not unless the weather clears at once.’ George Mueller was a man who knew how to talk to God so he suggested that they pray. In simple terms he reminded the Lord of his appointment, of his assurance that the appointment had been in the will of God; he then requested that the fog be removed. When he had finished, the captain was about to pray when he felt a hand on his arm. ‘Don’t you pray, Captain,’ said George Mueller. The captain looked up in astonishment. ‘Why not?’ he exclaimed. ‘For two reasons,’ said George Mueller. ‘In the first place you do not really believe God is going to take away the fog and in the second place it has already gone.’”

So I must admit again that while reading this story, I was challenged. The line that got me was, “…you do not really believe God is going to take away the fog…” I began to contemplate, how many times have I prayed, but not really expected God to do what I prayed for? This answer would be more than I care to admit. When I pray for my sick children, do I really believe the fever will just leave? When I pray for funds in order to pay that one last dangling utility bill, do I honestly expect that provision will come from God rather than my getting a second job? When I pray even for the needs of others, do I find myself praying just to say I prayed, or do I have faith to know with all certainty that God will answer?
The Bible is clear in how we are to pray. We are to believe. “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours” (Mark 11:24). Believe here in the Greek is the word PISTEUO, meaning to have faith, give credit to, or entrust. This is the same word used in John 11:25, where Jesus, comforting the sisters of Lazarus, states that He is the resurrection and the life, and “…he that PISTEUO in (Him), though he were dead, yet shall he live.” It is only in having this belief in Christ that things prayed for can be received.
Another instance of this word is found in John 3:16. While this is a verse we probably all know, let us take a moment still to look at it with our new found understanding. We read that God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever PISTEUO in the Son will have eternal life. Again we see this concept of believe and receive. When we have faith, or entrust our lives to the Son, then we receive the gift of eternal life.
If Mark records Jesus telling us to believe so we will receive, then why is it still so hard for me at times? Let’s dig a little deeper. The word PISTEUO is derived from the word PISTIS, which we may be more familiar with. We read of PISTIS in Ephesians 6:16, where we read of taking up the shield of faith. Is it safe to assume that there are times when I have dropped my shield? I know that sounds a little odd, but it is an honest question. Are the times when I pray and do not honestly expect an answer to come not only in times when I am going through the motions, but also in times when I have actually dropped my faith, my belief that God will do what I am praying for?
Only in our belief do we receive. But please do not read into this that I am suggesting God is our own personal vending machine. What I am suggesting is that we have a faith like that found in the example of George Mueller. His needs were met as a result of his strong faith in knowing God would provide. So should it be for us, that our faith rests in God to provide. God may chose to use an outside source, a second job, or even a raven to provide, but the receiving must begin with the believing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...