Saturday, August 18, 2012

EAGLES AND FORTY
“Young men may grow tired and weary, even the fittest may stumble and fall; but those who hope in Adonai will renew their strength, they will soar aloft as with eagles’ wings; when they are running they won’t grow weary, when they are walking they won’t get tired.”
Isaiah 40:30-31

Did you know that King David ruled for forty years (I Kin 2:11)? His son, Solomon, also ruled for forty years (I Kin 11:42). Additionally, one other king is credited as ruling for forty years, that being Joash (II Kin 12:1). We have been looking at the number forty the past few days and I want us to look again at a few more times that this number is used. In I Kings 19:8 we read that with the angel of the LORD coming a second time to Elijah to provide for him food and drink, the meal was enough to suffice him for forty days while he went toward Horeb. God called Ezekiel to do something bazaar in Ezekiel 4:6, commanding him to lay on his right side for forty days to bear the guilt of the house of Judah. And finally, in the book of Jonah, we read that the prophet who first protested, was now in Ninevah declaring that in forty days God was going to overturn Ninevah to its enemies. The city took this personally, and as a whole they sought God in teshuvah and God relented.
There is no coincidence that forty is such an important number in the Bible. But did you know that forty also links the Bible to eagles? Let me explain. In Isaiah 40 (no that is not the link), we read that they who wait on the LORD will renew their strength. In addition to researching the number forty lately, I have also done some research on eagles. Check this out. When an eagle begins to feel old, he will fly up to the mountain and get as close as he can to the sun. Then, one by one he will begin to pluck out each feather. It is said that the eagle is not concerned with the pain in this process, as much as he is the progress in this process. Then, newly de-feathered, the eagle bathes and waits. Animal scientists have studied this behavior and have found that the waiting process is purposed, and that it takes forty days for the re-growth of new feathers. Forty days! When the feathers have grown back, the eagle is renewed in strength and ability.
How does this relate to us? I am glad you asked. I know for myself I have times when I feel ‘old’. There are times when my spirit feels weak, weary, and unable to keep pace. It is in these times that so as the eagle goes up the mountain toward the sun, that I need to find myself going up the mountain to the Son. My strength can only come from Him. But, I cannot have renewed strength until first I remove the ‘feathers’, or the weights that hold me down. These need to be removed, one by one, regardless of how much they hurt or how bald I may look. It is only in striping these feathers that I will find the renewed strength I so long to have. Yet as the feathers do not grow back on the eagle overnight, so I must remember that they will not also grow back on me overnight. It is a time of waiting for the new feathers to come in. It is a time of decision, where lifestyle is reborn.
I am not saying that what I am about to suggest is what you also need to do, but God has been stirring my heart now for about a month or so. Knowing that the forty days of teshuvah were closing in, I began to seek God for how I should repent in this time. Again, teshuvah is forty days of our hearing the call to repentance, and doing so. I feel He has called me to be like the eagle in this time. As strange as it sounds, and as sure as I know I will be questioned and receive looks, I am ready to obey Him and find my strength renewed. Tonight, once evening rolls in and the first day of teshuvah is celebrated by the shofar’s blast, I will remove my ‘feathers’ by removing every piece of hair on my body. Will this make me a better person, or give me brownie points with God? No, I won’t get brownie points, but I will put my heart in a position that is humbled and willing to be renewed by Him.
Again, I am not saying you have to do the same. I will encourage you, though, to hear the shofar and in your own way, find teshuvah. Be obedient to Him, and more concerned with the progress as opposed to the pain. May He direct you and may you find renewed strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...