Friday, July 27, 2012

FEED HIS SHEEP
“The third time he said to him, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’
“Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ He said, ‘Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.’
“Jesus said, ‘Feed my sheep.’”
John 21:17

We are nearing the end of the month of July and our focused look at answering the question “What Would Jesus Do?” While the examples as to what He would do can continue to be found, there is another piece I want us to look at in depth. We have studied Ephesians 5, looked at servanthood, parenting, and even love. Today, however, I want to look at the life of Peter, or at least a few specific parts of his life. According to the Gospel of Mark, which many believe was penned by Mark through the narration of Peter, the brothers Andrew and Peter were casting a net into the lake since they were fishermen (Mk 1:16). From the bank of the Sea of Galilee, Jesus saw the two and called out, “Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed after Jesus. This embracing of the call to follow Jesus was the defining moment that made the difference in the life of Peter. We would be wise to follow Peter’s example as well, and leave behind us the nets and fish to follow the One who is calling us.
Yet not all Peter’s lessons were so rewarding. In Matthew 14:22-33 we read the story of Jesus walking on the water. Thinking that Jesus may be a ghost, which was a valid sort as tails were told even back then of the ghosts of dead fisherman walking the waves, the disciples began to fear. When Jesus called to them that it was He, Peter replied back, “Lord, if it’s you, tell me to come to you on the water” (Mt 14:28). At the bid to come, Peter stepped out of the boat and on to the water. The first few steps were solid, but then the waves came. Seeing the waves Peter began to sink and was saved by an outstretched hand of Jesus. But with the hand came the rebuke for his little faith.
Another rebuke, yet not so easily seen, came following Christ’s resurrection. On the night that Jesus was on trial before crucifixion, Peter boldly announced that he would follow Christ anywhere. Knowing what was to come, however, Jesus told Peter that he would soon deny his allegiance to Him. Before the rooster voiced its third alarm, Peter had indeed rejected Christ three times. I can’t fully imagine the guilt and shame Peter may have felt following these actions, but I can state the guilt and shame I have felt in the times when I personally have rejected Christ. I can also relate to the next part of the lesson, found in John 21:15-19. Peter was asked three times by Jesus of his love for Him, and three times answered that he did love Jesus. But why three times? It is thought that since Peter rejected Christ three times that Peter was being rebuked by Jesus three times. The final time was the key, the point where Peter broke down and saw the lesson that I hope we also see. Peter was forgiven. Peter’s mess up’s are no different than ours, and yet he was forgiven. So we are too when we turn back to Jesus.
Peter’s forward steps tell the story of how I want to be…bold, on fire, and not held back. I want to walk in the Spirit and take a stand that says I will follow the commands of God rather than men (Acts 5:29). I want to be passionate about God no matter the end result, which for Peter was also crucifixion for his faith. But how does this relate to us, and the challenge to walk in Jesus’ steps? Perhaps in Peter I see myself. I see the desire to be on fire, but I see also the times in which my faith has been low and my body sinking. I see also the times when I have had the desire but then turned back when believing in Him got a little too hard or testing. I see myself still, however, in the blessing that comes in His forgiveness of these times. These times make me want to live out the remainder of my days like Peter, feeding His sheep. So how does all this relate? Easy. Do I love Jesus? Yes. Then to do what Jesus would do requires me to step up to the plate and embrace His command. It is time I feed His sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...