Thursday, June 7, 2012

BIRKAT HABANIM
“The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn His face toward you and give you peace.”
Numbers 6:24-26

As I continue to learn more about prayer, I continue to see more areas and opportunities in which I need to pray. One of these such areas is over my family. As the spiritual covering of my home, I am charged by God to pull them under my covering, and then in turn under His covering. In this charge I am urged to lead my family in the ways of God, but I am also urged to pray His protection and guidance over them. I want to see my family succeed, and even surpass me, but the chances of this being done outside of prayer are slim. Allow me to give you an example.
Best known for his monotone sermon, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, Jonathan Edwards was a man determined to pray. With a schedule that had him up at 4:30am, the father would take time to read and study the word of God before entering the workforce of travels and meetings. One thing, however, was always made time for. Jonathan Edwards always made time for his children. It is stated that Edwards would prayer over his children daily. Not only praying for them from a distance, but he would actually lay his hands on his children and bless them when able. This legacy changed his family line. History shows that of Edwards’ descendants, 13 were college presidents, 65 were college professors, 30 were judges, 100 were lawyers, 60 were physicians, 75 were army and navy officers, 100 were pastors, 60 were authors of prominence, 3 were senators, and one was Vice President of the United States.
Contrast this stunning legacy to that of a lesser known Max Jukes, who also lived in the same time as Edwards. Jukes suffered from a drinking problem. As a result he was unable to keep a job. His drinking would take him away from home for days at a time, uncaring about the concerns and spiritual life of his family. History shows that within a five generation time span, 310 descendants died as paupers, 150 were criminals including 7 murderers, more than 100 were drunkards, and more than half of the female descendants entered prostitution. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see the difference.
I refuse, though, to be the next Max Jukes. I refuse to let my family go down in flames. It is in this simple comparison that I feel God speaking to me to take my place as the spiritual leader of my home, and begin praying daily over my children. And while I may not know always what to pray, I know that the Birkat Habanim is a great place to start. In simple terms, the Birkat Habanim is the Blessing of the Children prayed by the head on each Shabbat. In Israel, as well as in many Jewish homes, the custom has become to bless the children, despite the age, when celebrating the Sabbath. So now I share this blessing with you.

For the boy: “May God make you like Ephraim and Manasseh.”
For the girl: “May God make you like Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, and Leah.”
Over both: “The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn His face toward you and give you peace.”

The blessing over the male states Ephraim and Manasseh because these were the first two brothers within the scriptures that did not war against each other. The blessing over the female gives us the list of our faith’s mothers, Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, and Leah. The final blessing is the priestly blessing found in Numbers 6:24-26. It was first spoken by Aaron, Moses’ brother, over the congregation of Israel. It is now spoken within the Jewish homes over the family as we, the fathers, are called as the priest of our home.
Whether you decide to engage in the Birkat Habanim or not is your decision. My challenge to you, however, is the same challenge I am facing. Let us begin, or maybe continue, to pray for our family. Let us continue to bless our children, expecting that God will bless them and all that follow. Let us pronounce His protection, kindness, and peace to those who are our legacy. Let us make a purposed effort to pray over what God has entrusted to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...