Friday, September 9, 2011

TRY THE RIGHT SIDE
“[Jesus] said, ‘Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.’ When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.”
John 21:6

Have you ever had one of those days when things just get you down? Maybe work is bombarding you. Perhaps your finances are tight and you feel like you are being squeezed by a python. Or maybe you are mourning the passing of someone close. We have all been there; maybe not with the exact same reason, but we have all been in a place where we find ourselves down. And in thinking back to the events recorded by the different Gospels, sharing with us the details of what happened after Christ’s death and resurrection, I was reminded of John’s account in John 21. I found myself not only sympathizing with their lack of catching anything, but also rejoicing with their revelation of just who was speaking to them from the banks of the shore. Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself, though, so let us look together.
After Jesus had already resurrected, yet before Peter was reinstated, a few of the disciples were hanging out. Peter, maybe still feeling the remorse for his denial of Christ, voiced that he was going fishing. This band of disciples decided to go with him. However, the night went on with nothing being caught. But then, early in the morning, a voice from the shoreline called out to the men in the boat and asked if they had caught anything. Not knowing who this shoreline character was, the fishermen replied back a simple no. Then the voice came back from the shore to throw their nets on the other side, the right side. We aren’t told if they hesitated or murmured or just did it without asking questions, but we do know they did do it. And when they threw their nets out onto the right side, they had so many fish that they were unable to haul the net in. It was at that moment that the revelation of the man on the shore was made, and Peter leaped into the water, swimming to shore.
As I read this, I see one phrase that really grabs my attention. Jesus told the disciples to “Throw [their] net on the right side.” This can be understood two ways. It could be that literally they were fishing on the left side. Perhaps the left side was barren of fish where as a school of fish was approaching from the right. When they threw the nets out on the right side they caught the school and life was good. But consider it not so much being about right and left as opposed to right and wrong. The disciples may have been fishing on the wrong side. When they heard the voice of the man on the shore, they obeyed, therefore doing right and collecting their prize.
So I am challenged. I am challenged as I contemplate where I am in my life. Am I fishing on the left side? Am I fishing on the wrong side? How many blessing are about to come my way if I would heed the voice of the One on the shore. I hear Him saying throw the nets to the right, but am I obeying? It is the same voice that spoke through Moses that He was setting before them life and death, choose life (Deut 30:19). It is the same voice that speaks, “This is the way, walk in it” (Is 30:21). This voice stands on the banks giving us instruction, but are we heeding His voice? Perhaps it is time that we try the right side. Perhaps it is time that we choose life, and walk in the way that He is telling us to walk. Maybe we should stop worrying about what others may think and say and do, and simply obey the One who sees and knows all. I am so tired of doing it wrong and catching nothing, finding death, and getting nowhere. So I make up my mind. It is time I try the right side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...