Friday, August 26, 2011

GOD MAY RELENT
"Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish."
Jonah 3:9

Growing up as a kid on Stetson Avenue, our backyard had an apricot tree. There was one year when the tree produced so much fruit that one of the branches snapped. I remember how we all heard it, as well as our neighbor, and all went out spending a great deal of time collecting the fruit to share with neighbors, friends, and people at church. I also have another vivid memory related to that tree. That was the summer of the 'great apricot war'. I do not remember completely how the battle started, but I remember the ending. The toss of one rotten apricot, probably by me, caused retaliation. Before long every rotten, smashed, slimy apricot found on the ground, as well as a few hard fresh ones still on the tree, became ammunition. From head to toe my older brother and I were covered in apricot guts. I cannot help but laugh still as I remember how we looked when we were called in for dinner that night. After being commanded to get out of our goopy clothes, dad pulled us aside and told us that if we ever threw another apricot, we would be in trouble.
Leave it to me to put dad to the test. A few days after the initial battle, while my friend was over, I instigated another battle. This time my mom watched the entire event happen, reporting every detail to my dad. As I waited in fear of the punishment, I tried to think of what was about to come. Would it be a grounding? a time out? a spanking? Dad had never said what it would be, only that it would be something. If ever a time for prayer and fasting was had, this was it. I prayed that dad would go easy on me, relent, and forgive my disobedience. And then the door opened to dad's room where I was called in. Without going into detail, I will admit I had a more painful time sitting at the dinner table that night. I had learned my lesson, though. In fact, to this day I hate apricots. Maybe it was because we had so many yearly on the tree, eating them for every possible dessert. But I venture to say my hatred toward them has more to do with the association of apricots and a painful backside.
While I think back to how I spent that night learning my lesson the hard way, hoping my dad would relent, I recall a story where God Himself did relent. It was in consideration of a city named Nineveh. Because of their great wickedness, God had determined an exact time in which He would destroy the city. However, before He did so He gave warning. God asked Jonah to go and proclaim that God's destruction was coming. After Jonah ran from God, spent a few nights inside a fish and was vomited out, and then finally obeyed, the proclamation was made. As the people heard this warning, however, they began to believe the words. In fact, the city declared a fast. Once the king caught a hold of this warning, he too declared a fast. The king went even so far as to declare a fast not only of the people, but also of the animals (Jon 3:7). He reasoned, "Who knows? God may yet relent and with compassion turn from his fierce anger so that we will not perish." Talk about a serious change of direction for Nineveh.
As God watched the change in the hearts of the city, He did relent. Jonah 3:10 goes on to say that, "When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways, He had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction He had threatened." I don't know about you, but I read that and find myself stirred with hope. God knows the many stupid things I have done, and the sins I have committed both on accident and on purpose. Yet in reading this story I am encouraged to consider that maybe God is saying the same thing to me. Perhaps God is warning me to get right so as to avoid destruction. It would only seem to make sense. From the beginning in Genesis God has only wanted for us to obey His decrees, follow His ways, and serve Him only. Is that any different than what He desired from Nineveh? Is it any different from what He desires from us now? So then maybe instead of being hard headed and walking around with cotton balls in my ears, I should listen and obey. Maybe it is time for a fast, a change, and a requesting of God to forgive me as I recommit the path I am on. There is hope for us all that God will relent, but we first must admit our errors and change our ways as Nineveh did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...