Monday, March 14, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
“…Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’
Luke 15:6

Six years ago today, at the exact hour I am writing this, I found myself at the hospital. I remember being there with my wife as we were hours away from seeing our new baby. We had chosen not to know the gender, so in addition to the excitement of the birth of another child, we were also anticipating the knowledge of its gender. As the contractions began to increase and the head began to crown, the realization all sank in again. I had been here before and had managed to keep my weak stomach under control and my wobbly legs from giving in. However, I had to fight those same aliments once again and be strong. In what seemed like only a few strong pushes allowed the escape for our baby to enter the world. With the doctor turning the newborn over, I looked and announced, “It’s a girl!”
It has been six years today since she was born, and while at times she has tested my patience, she has never lost my love. I don’t think she ever can, nor can my son. They are mine; my offspring, my joy, my mini-mes. And they will always be mine. For both my children I would gladly lay down my life because of the love I have for them. And why would I not? I read in the Bible that God loved His children so much, His creation, us, that He allowed His Son to die for us. I am looking at the greatest love story ever when I read the Bible and see this kind of love. In fact, it is this same love expressed in the story of the lost sheep that maybe hits closer to home.
The shepherd had a hundred sheep. However, sheep are not the smartest animals. One day, as they were out grazing, one of those sheep strayed away. At night, when the shepherds were returning with their sheep back to home, the shepherd came up one short in his count. Where once there were a hundred, now he counted only ninety-nine. But instead of leaving that out there, or just brushing it off, he went out to search for it. He didn’t care how long the search would last he just knew that sheep needed help. After looking back on the grassy plain and combing the area nearby, he heard a cry. Following the cry he found the sheep. That sheep that had gone off on its own was now found, and being carried on the shepherd’s shoulders back to meet the others.
We are that sheep. Some of us have been found, but some of us have not. To those that are still lost, know that the shepherd has not stopped the search. He loves you dearly. Just call out for help like this sheep, and God will rescue you from the thicket of your life and carry you home. That is what I witnessed last night at a concert…a mass rescue of lost sheep. And as I sat in my chair listening to the sounds of people praying the prayer of salvation, one specific voice caught my attention. Without any prompting from me at all, I heard the sweet sound of my daughter praying with others to receive Christ. Another sheep had been rescued. On the eve of my daughter’s physical birth date she was born into the family of God. That is the best birthday present she could have ever received. It can be yours also. Today can be your birthday also. If you have never done so, or if you have but are lost again, I encourage you to cry out to the shepherd who loves you and so desires to save you. Let this be your happy birthday and allow the Shepherd into your heart.


To the right of this blog you will find the salvation prayer. I am not trying to force you, but am encouraging you to please allow Christ into your heart, to be that Shepherd who searches for you, that Father who would lay down his life for you, and that Friend who will never betray you. Come, let us celebrate your birthday also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...