Tuesday, December 23, 2014

HANUKKAH'S FINAL NIGHT

Tonight we celebrate the final night of Hanukkah. Over the past few days I have looked at Hanukkah as in the Bible, from Jesus celebrating it, to Daniel prophesying it. I have looked at the story itself as seen in the pages of the Maccebees. I have learned of the dreidle, and of the reason for it being an eight day celebration. Today, though, I want to share a piece I recently heard from Rabbi Curt Landry

There are eight candles placed on the menorah this final night, excluding the Shamash (servant) candle. But what if instead of looking at these candles as candles, we look a little deeper into a potential meaning of them all.
Candle 1 - This candle represents God. In Duet 6:4 we read, "Hear O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one." Giving God the first place, be it in the menorah, or more importantly in our lives, is a good place to start.
Candle 2 - This candle represents Jesus. John 5:19 states that Jesus did only what He saw the Father do. We would be wise to walk in this same example and do only as we see Jesus doing, knowing that He mirrored His Father.
Candle 3 - The candle represents the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:1 reminds us that the Holy Spirit fell when the disciples were all in one accord. While the disciples had to be in one accord, so also the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all had to be in one accord. This is the same concept behind the wording that the "...LORD is one." In Hebrew it would be ACHAD - the merging of many into one.
Candle 4 - Four is the new of Creation. Putting this in a practical sense, if I want to be a new creation, I have to be linked into the ACHAD, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Candle 5 - Five is the number of Grace. I need the grace of God filling my life and making me into the new creation I want to be in the ACHAD.
Candle 6 - Six is the number of man. I am a man, sinful at best, but who finds the grace of God washing over me, transforming me from a sinful nature to the nature of the new man of whom I can only be when I am in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Candle 7 - Seven is the number of perfection. I cannot be made perfect until first I forego my sinful, fleshly man nature, allowing God's grace to wash me and transform me into the new creation He wants me to be. And how is this possible? By being in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Candle 8 - Eight is the new of New Beginnings. I want to find myself at a place of new beginnings. Is this possible? Yes. How? I find new beginnings when I allow God to perfect me, stripping off my sinful man, bathing me in His grace, and transforming me into the new creation He has destined for me. This, however, can only happen when I am founded, not wavering but founded, in the ACHAD.

So how about you? Are you wanting to experience a new beginning? Then this season of miracles is for you. Allow yourself to come in order like the candles, allowing God to light a new one each night. It begins with being founded in God, but it ends with Him giving you a brand new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...