Monday, June 30, 2014

OUR SHOES OF PEACE

Ephesians 6:15
…and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

Well it may be one for the money, and two for the show, three to get ready and then go cat go, but Elvis wanted to be sure that we did not step on his blue suede shoes. We could do anything else, but we had to lay off his blue suede shoes. Why? And what is it about shoes that keep women wanting more, keep us from wanting to scuff them, step on them, or hope they don’t stink? We put so much focus on whether or not they match our outfit. We become so concerned when a new pair gets dirty or scuffed. And we become embarrassed when we can smell them from across the room. But, there is really only one pair of shoes we should be focused on – that being the shoes of peace.
If we were to inspect the footwear of the Romans under today’s standards, we may consider it to be poorly made. Yes the whole concept may look flimsy, but truth be told, they were comfortable. The sandal, or CALIGAE in the Greek, was constantly put to the test with soldiers marching upward of 25 miles daily. Yet through it all, soldiers remained blister-less. Tucked inside the sole of the sandal was a strip of metal for stability. Extending from the top of the sandal were found leather laces that wrapped around the soldier’s calves. As air circulated through the sandal, skin issues and fungus were also prevented. All the while, this basic concept kept the wearer from pain.
A look under the sandal showed two sizes of studs, much like an olden day golf shoe or cleat. These studs provided the traction needed for the exercise being done, whether walking, running, or fighting. With their footing established based on the spike, the soldier had a better chance of being firmly placed and ready for battle. Yet Paul connected shoes with the gospel of peace. How exactly do the two go hand in hand, or in this case, foot and foot?
In Roman times, armor for the shin was attached to the ankles and knees known as greaves. These greaves were worn by the soldiers to protect them as they marched among obstacles or traps hidden in their path. Without this spread of protection, a soldier entangled in a snare could become unfit to continue. It is here then that we have the concept of peace within the walk. We are called to fit our feet with a spiritual version of greaves. Traps of sin, ambushes of doubt, and obstacles of temptation are sprawled out in our path. The enemy has layered our course with entanglements and is working to con us into falling into them. For this reason, we are to be prepared as we walk out our orders, enduring to the end (Mt 10:22).
In order to stand, we need peace. The passage reads, “…and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.” Our feet are not fitted with the gospel of stress, although we probably have enough stress to wear. They are not to be covered with the spirit of negativity, or loneliness, or even worry. Our feet are to be fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. We are to be ‘ready’ in peace. We are to be those in the battle that have a firm stance, are solidly planted and at peace with how our feet are positioned. And this stance must be firm in Christ. As we learned in the first lesson, how we are standing will make all the difference in how the battle ends.
So what exactly is peace? The word ‘peace’ from our text is the Greek word EIRENE, meaning a state of tranquility, harmony, to fear nothing, and to be content. Right away we can see how the enemy works. He wants to take away the very truth of this word, planting distress, discord, worry, anxiousness, and fear. To step in these things is equal to stepping in doggie-doo. One false step and we will slip.
As we move forward in this lesson I want us to consider three types of peace. The Greek word for each type of peace is the same yet consider where it comes from. The first is peace with God. When we come first into a relationship with God, we are given a peace. We see this when an ailing family member or friend ‘makes his peace with God.’ This truth comes from Romans 5:1, “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” Having peace with God removes the fear and threat of condemnation and hell, moving us then from the relationship of stranger to the relationship of His child.
The second peace we find is from I Corinthians 1:3. “Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.” This peace is a peace from God to us. As we develop in our walk with God, and walk in obedience to Him and in His ways, we begin to find His peace being poured out over us. I think of a fear I once struggled with. For a long time I would begin to panic whenever I saw a police officer behind me. Even if I was going the speed limit I was certain that he was after me, looking to see if I would do anything wrong. The deeper issue was not the police looking to bust me, but how I was living. Living in a sinful way I felt as though everyone was out to expose me. However, once I confused and began to work away from my sinful lifestyle and follow God’s ways, God’s peace began to come. Changing my lifestyle gave me peace in many ways to where now I am not thinking that every officer is working against me.
The last of these three types of peace is the peace of God, as named in Philippians 4:7. “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” In times of conflict, this peace is needed. This is the peace that keeps us grounded when the enemy works to jump us. And this is the peace I know I needed when I went through my divorce. Constantly I felt like I was getting sucker-punched by the enemy. But just like those weighted blow-up clowns that get punched and spring back up, so the peace of God allowed me to pop back up, keeping me from losing my balance fully and going down for the final count.
I have walked on too many paths to know the flattening that comes from not having my feet securely in the ground, with my spikes fixed in deep. I have walked on too many paths to know the pain that comes from not wearing greaves. As a kid I took a walk that I call, ‘the walk that changed my life.’ It wasn’t a walk to the altar, but rather a walk to years of bondage. Yet looking back now, I see how my feet were not fitted. It was in that moment alone on this path that I stepped in a snare set by the enemy. I became unfit to continue on in battle and do any real harm to the enemy. In a way I was like Samson who once was feared as a champ, but later mocked as a chump. The temptation, the guilt, the shame of what I had done, all played games on my mind. Instead of seeking help from God, I continued to march as an injured soldier.
I praise God that He did not give up on me. I am grateful that I was lifted up in His arms, rescued, nurtured back to health, and made ready again for battle. But this time I won’t be amiss. I won’t go into battle without my shoes on. I urge you then, as one who has walked into the trap and by God’s grace found freedom, to protect your steps and walk in the assurance of God’s peace as well. Have your feet fitted. Have the spikes dug in deep. And have peace with God, the peace from God, and the peace of God. This simple piece of the armor isn’t just to match our belt or purse in color, but to be used in times when the quicksand of worry may try to trap us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...