Monday, November 26, 2012

YOUR SIN WILL FIND YOU OUT
“When [Tamar] was brought out, she sent this message to her father-in-law: ‘I am pregnant by the man to whom these things belong. Determine, I beg you, whose these are – the signet, the cords, and the staff.’”
Genesis 38:25

I would like to begin today by admitting that in the past I have done some very stupid things. I know it is hard to believe, right? Okay, maybe not so much. I will admit, I have broken things on accident and blamed the dog. I have played one too many times with matches and almost burned things down or blown things up. And I have blatantly gone against God’s word on numerous occasions. This is not something I want to just look back and laugh at, however. It is these things, these stupid choices I have made, that in many ways can prevent me from receiving the full blessing God wants to pour out on me. We see this is the life of Jacob’s son Judah and how one night with a prostitute cost him part of his blessing.
Judah was the forth son of Jacob and born to him from Leah (Gen 29:35). The Bible explains to us that he had three sons, ‘Er, Onan, and Shelah. ‘Er married Tamar, but the two were unable to conceive prior to his death. His death, however, was brought about by God because of his evil lifestyle. As was the custom, if no children were born, the second son would be wed to the first son’s wife. Soon enough, Onan became the husband of Tamar. Knowing that if he aided to her conceiving that the child would still be considered ‘Er’s, he did not release himself within Tamar. This action angered God and God put him to death as well. Now with only one son left, Judah feared his final son being killed and postponed giving him to her right away.
While out with his sheep-shearers in Timnah, Judah saw a prostitute. He made an offer and she accepted. A moment of lust and passion would cost him only one kid from his many goats. However, since he didn’t have the goat on hand, a guarantee was made. Giving her his seal, cord, and staff, and with the agreement to exchange it all for the goat later, the two engaged in passion. The next day, when he went to pay her with the goat and take back his items, the prostitute was nowhere to be found. Not wanting to make too much of a scene, he let it pass. But little did he know it would come back around.
A few months after his trip to Timnah he received word that Tamar was pregnant. Knowing he had not given his last son to her, he assumed that she had been frolicking. She was questioned in great detail as to whom this man was who had impregnated her, and her answer was stated clearly. “The owner of this signet, cords, and staff is the man I was with.” As Judah looked over these items he immediately knew they were his own. Although she had tricked him, she was also more righteous than he was as he had kept his son from her.
This story speaks many lessons. When I read it, however, I see one main point. My sins are not hidden. I understand Judah’s fear and the waiting the keep his final son from death as he had that fear. I understand Tamar wanting to make a point. But I also see clearly how what Judah thought he could dismiss was exposed. There is not one thing we can hide from God, yet it is funny how we continue to try over and over again. I want to remind you, as I myself have again been reminded, that God watches over all we do – not to smack us upside the head with a stick every time we do something wrong, but to bless us when we do right. But if we are not living right, how can He bless us? In the knowledge once more that my sins will indeed find me out, I want to review my life in full detail and end the areas in my life where I am still hoping to hide my actions from God. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...