Saturday, November 3, 2012

THE VOICE part 4
“But the angel of the LORD called out to him from heaven, ‘Abraham! Abraham!’
“’Here I am,’ he replied.”
Genesis 22:11

I have a Jewish mentor that I have been speaking with the past couple weeks. Now while we do not see eye to eye in every part of the Jewish lifestyle, this past conversation proved to be beneficial. We found ourselves discussing the story of Abraham sacrificing Isaac, a well known story indeed. In speaking with him, however, I came to realize that there is more to this account than I originally thought. But I also realized that this account revolves around a voice – His voice, and whether or not both Abraham and Isaac would obey. I will do my best to explain what I mean.
We all know the story. Isaac, the promised child, finally made his debut into the world. Yet not too long after we read that God was asking Abraham to sacrifice his son. Now if I put myself in Abraham’s shoes I am more likely to perhaps understand some of his feelings and emotions. The first one that comes to mind is disbelief. My gut asks, “Did I hear you right? You want me to do what?” For so long Abraham had held to this promise that he would be the father of many, he would have children as numerous as the sand and stars, and now having only one son he was being asked to lay him down. But then I think my disbelief would soon give way to frustration. I think I would find myself becoming angry with God, almost as if for so long He had taunted me and was now taking away that which was close.
I give credit to Abraham, though, because I think he was a better man than I. Even with all these thoughts racing through his head, he still decided to follow after God’s command. Now while I consider myself one to want to do as God says, I cannot say I would have laid my child on the altar. And I must also give credit to Isaac. Despite what we want to believe, Isaac was in his twenties when this event happened. He grew up already knowing the details of the sacrifice. And even as such, he asked where the lamb was as they walked up the hill. Perhaps at that moment he realized the extent of what was about to happen. We give credit Abraham for being faithful, but we also need to realize the faith Isaac had. In my eyes this makes Abraham’s words to his servant, “We will both return,” even stronger. Both the men had to place their full faith in Adonai.
Now, with Isaac on the altar, I picture Abraham once more pleading with God to let this moment pass. With frustration still in his countenance, however, he proceeds to give his son over to God. Then, at what may have seemed like the last minute, God’s voice boomed onto the scene and called out, “Abraham! Abraham!” Although there may have been relief in that moment, it is possible there may have been more frustration. What else was God about to ask Abraham to do? Who else would need to be laid on the altar? But instead of giving another task, God commended Abraham for his obedience.
There will times when God asks us to do what seems impossible. I cannot imagine giving up one of my children on the altar. But there have been things that in my life have seemed just as huge. When we hear His voice calling, will we obey? Sure it is easy in the simple things, the little things that do not take a great deal of faith or effort. But what about in the big things? Will we obey His voice? I wish I could tell that I have mastered it. I wish I could you that I am “Dan the faith Man”. But I cannot because I am not. I am one, though, who wants to hear His voice, wants to obey, and wants to master. It all starts with knowing His voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...