Thursday, April 12, 2012

LAID LOW
“See how Adonai Elohim-Tzva'ot lops off the branches with terrible violence! The ones standing highest are chopped down, the lofty are laid low. He will hack down the forest underbrush with an axe, and the L'vanon in its splendor falls.”
Isaiah 10:33-34

Keeping in step still with the thoughts of this season which is the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and with the deflating of chametz that the Lord is doing personally in my life, I want us to camp out for the day in Isaiah 10:33-34. I guarantee this is a passage that we are unaware of, and if we have read it we have more than likely read over its meaning. I know I have. But in studying the scripture this morning for verses that have to do with the removal of pride, humility of any kind, and dependence upon Adonai, I was drawn to this passage. I found myself beginning to wonder not necessarily if I am one of those standing high, but more so when will I be laid low.
Looking back at the verses prior we read of the remnant of Israel and their return to the Mighty God (Isa 10:21). As destruction has been decreed over the land, and would be carried out by the LORD, still a remnant would return. It is then in Isaiah 10:24 and following that the prophet spoke further the words of Adonai. In essence the prophet spoke, “Do not be afraid, for very soon the anger of Adonai will end against His people and be directed to the ones abusing His people.” The destruction would be lashed out and finally halted on Nob where the enemies had run for cover. It is here in Nob that they would shake their fists, but here also that Adonai Elohim-Tzva'ot, the LORD Almighty, would lop off the branches. While this seems mean of Adonai, it may only be because we do not understand the meaning of Nob. Nob was a priestly city within the area of the tribe of Benjamin, situated in the north near Jerusalem. Nob also is defined as a “high place”. It was in this high place that pride grew.
Adonai is not a fan of pride, as we saw a few days back when learning of chametz. It is in this season that our homes are to be void of this leavening agent physically and our lives spiritually. So then it makes sense to read this passage and self-inspect further, working again to make sure and verify that the chametz of our lives is gone. To the people who possessed pride, Adonai spoke that He would lop off their boughs with great power, chop down lofty trees, thin thickets with His axe, and reduce those standing in pride against Him. As He brought His destruction to Nob, so too can He bring His destruction against us who stand in pride before Him.
So again, I find myself beginning to wonder not necessarily if I am one of those standing high, but more so when will I be laid low. I do not want this destruction to fall upon me; I do not want to taken out because of the pride in me that raises itself against Adonai. That said, my prayer once again is, Adonai, have mercy on me and help me to remove this chametz. I want to be humbled, but I do not want to be taken out. I want to be void of the pride I know I have, but I do not want to be destroyed because of it. If I do not place myself in a position where I allow Him to humble me and remove the leaven, then the only other alternative is His bringing me down by force as He did Nob.
Adonai, have mercy on me and help me to remove this chametz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...