Monday, April 23, 2012

AN EXAMPLE YOURSELF
“Similarly, urge the young men to be self-controlled, and in everything set them an example yourself by doing what is good. When you are teaching, have integrity and be serious; let everything you say be so wholesome that an opponent will be put to shame because he will have nothing bad to say about us.”
Titus 2:6-8

It probably is no secret to any of you who have been reading my writings for a while or even have spent time talking with me that God has called me to be a minister. I am still waiting for His releasing, but I trust that He knows what He is doing. I tend to think that because of the calling He has placed on me, certain things need to be dealt with first. With that said, I felt a few weeks back that I was supposed to strongly study the letters Paul wrote to Timothy and Titus. Now I wish I could say that I had started in this sooner, being obedient right away to the instruction of God, but truth being told I did not jump. I actually have been putting it off. It wasn’t until doing a brief read of Titus this morning that I even touched this book I felt so strongly to touch three weeks back.
But maybe in touching it today, God wanted to make a point. It was while reading Titus 2 that it began to make sense to me. Paul starts out by explaining the good behaviors that coincide with sound teaching. He writes to Titus, “Tell the older men to be serious, sensible, self-controlled and sound in their trust, love and perseverance” (Titus 2:2). Other translations have the words sober, grave, temperate, and sound. Yet what is this referring to? Serious doesn’t mean in this case to be a buzz kill, solemn old man, but rather free from addictions. Sensible means to be reverend. Self-controlled, or temperate, is defined as curbing one’s desires or impulses. And finally, sound speaks of one whose opinions are free from error and stable in truth. Paul in this portion is describing the well rounded, God-fearing man we men and leaders should be. Still, he doesn’t stop there.
After addressing a few aspects pertaining to women in verses 3-5, Paul speaks again to men, and it is on this portion I want to land for the day. “Similarly, urge the young men to be self-controlled, and in everything set them an example yourself by doing what is good. When you are teaching, have integrity and be serious; let everything you say be so wholesome that an opponent will be put to shame because he will have nothing bad to say about us” (Titus 2:6-8). Looking in sections, the first prompt given by Paul in this passage is to urge the young men. Notice the area of urge. Urge them to be self-controlled. Sound doctrine towards God includes the curbing of our desires and flesh. This is the first piece Paul notes in this second section. And why not? It is our desires that seem to get us in the most trouble. By not giving into the flesh and using self-control as our stance, we place ourselves in a position of devotion to God’s ways, and then can used as an example of one devoted to Him.
Paul then moves on to another characteristic that I believe it is safe to say we have forsaken. The example or leader is to have integrity. In the Greek the word for integrity is the word ADIAPHTHORIA, meaning un-corruptness. This term is only found in Titus 2:7. Being un-corrupt and respectful of the ways of God is needed in the church today. Sadly enough, we probably all can name too many leaders who have failed in this area. But it isn’t just within the church where this leadership quality is needed. We need a godly leader in our church, but also in our government offices, in our businesses, and leading our homes. And that is where the challenge lies for me.
Currently I do not have a church to lead, a business to manage, or a government to run. Yet I do have a family, and my family is dependent upon the fact that I do what Paul is writing. My children are looking to me as their father to be, “serious, sensible, self-controlled and sound in [my] trust, love and perseverance.” My children are watching me to verify if my words match my actions; if I will be a man of integrity or just another hoax. For them I want to be un-corrupted, and I want to be one that lives a life that no one can find fault in. I am far from it, but in reading this chapter I am desirous of it. There is only one way I can become this, and I am grateful I know the answer as to how. In calling on God, asking for His help, and being willing to make the changes that He directs me to make, I will find His grace to make the transformation. It isn’t enough for me to ask and not do, however. No change will ever come if I do not put His instruction into motion. But Titus 2:11-12 holds the hope. “For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say ‘No’ to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.”
Oh God, bring your grace, and bring the salvation with it that will deliver me, helping me to be the me that is in Your image.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...