Sunday, April 3, 2011

WONDER-TWIN POWER, ACTIVATE
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you…”
Acts 1:8a

I know I am about to date myself with today’s illustration, but hear me out. When I was a kid I would watch the Justice League where a host of super-powered friends would together fight the evils of those who caused destruction. Among them were Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the Wonder-twins. Do you remember the Wonder-twins? They were this brother and sister team that, when they touched their rings together, they would turn into whatever item was needed to help the situation. For instance, if there was a fire that needed to be put out, they would touch rings and say, “Wonder-twin power, activate!” The girl would say, “Turn me into an eagle,” and poof, she was an eagle. Then the brother would say, “Turn me into a pail of water,” and poof, he would be water. Then in her eagle form, she would grab the pail’s handle and fly off to the fire and pour her water-formed brother over it. Victory was theirs, and human form was then retaken.
I used to love that show. I used to love the way that they would transform themselves in that moment and become what was needed. But isn’t it funny that those super-powered twins still leave a great impact on my life. In fact, I have even played being a Wonder-twin with my kids. When my daughter’s room is a mess and she wants me to help her clean, I’ll tap our fist together and say, “Turn me into a clean sweeper,” or something like that, while all along she looks at me like I’m crazy. Or with my son, when we’re running behind I ask to be turned into a cheetah so I can run fast.
But as I was joking around about this last night, God prompted me. In a way, we have been given this Wonder-twin power. We call it, the Holy Spirit. I remember as a kid when I wanted to speak to others about Christ, a fear would come over me. Mom would assure me that the Spirit would give me the words to utter in that moment of obedience. And He always did. It’s like I would touch rings with the God and say, “Turn me into a bold Christian,” and BAM! I had the boldness to share with others about Christ. Yet isn’t that exactly what Christ said right before He ascended into heaven?
In Acts 1:8, Jesus spoke that we would receive power when the Holy Spirit came on us. Now He was speaking to the disciples, but contrary to what others may believe, I have no doubt He was also speaking to you and me. This power wasn’t only for the disciples, nor did it die out when they passed. This same power has been given to us. And we know it came as He had promised, because as the disciples were in the upper room on the day of Pentecost, “Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them” (Acts 2:3-4). Talk about your Wonder-twin power activating! They had just been given the Holy Spirit.
Do we realize the power of the Holy Spirit? Simon the sorcerer did in Acts 8:18-19, because he wanted to buy it. But do we understand it? Do we hear about the Spirit and turn running, or do we say, “Spirit of God, fall on me”? These last few days, well actually since my dad passed, I have found myself many times realizing how much more I need God. Just when I think I got it right, I realize I am still nothing without God. I need His Spirit. I need the Spirit to guide me, protect me, empower me, and counsel me. I am hungry for God, hungry to do His will, but I cannot do in my own strength. Perhaps that is why we are reminded that it is not by might, nor by power, but by the Spirit of the Lord (Zech 4:6).
Wonder-twin power, activate. Turn me into a Holy Spirit filled man of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...