Monday, July 6, 2009

SURPRISING ANSWERS
"Therefore, I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."

Mark 11:24

This past weekend the kids and I attempted to watch the fireworks. The day was going well till about 5:30 or so when I looked out the window of the pizza parlor we were in and noticed it was starting to rain. Our hope was that the rain would pass and we would be able to see the show still. However, our wish was not granted and around 8:15, with no hope in sight of a clearing, we started our journey back home.
I will be honest, I have a hard time driving in the dark, and an even worse time during the rain. When we started to drive back home, it was a sprinkle. However, about 10 minutes down the road the sprinkle became a down pour. Panic came over me as I drove. I could not tell if I was in my lane or that of oncoming traffic, and many times I had to come to a complete stop when other cars approached me. When the opportunity came, I pulled off the road and sat there in the car with the kids to wait out the storm. Still it pounded, and still we sat.
I grabbed my son’s hand, as he too was afraid, and we prayed. We prayed for peace, prayed for protection, and prayed that the storm would lighten up to allow us to get home. Within two minutes of our prayer the rain was light enough for me to drive, and my son was sleeping in the backseat, just like his sister. The drive home was completed and we were kept safe.
Here is the question I ask myself. Why was I so shocked when God answered my prayer? If I believe in who God is, then why am I so amazed when God shows Himself true? I believe Abraham had enough faith to trust that even if he did sacrifice his son, God was God enough to bring Isaac back to life. David had faith enough to know that God could use him to smite Goliath. Hosea trusted God enough to believe that Gomer would be reunited with him in marriage. The prophets believed that the prophesies about Jesus would come true. And the women with the issue of blood had enough faith to believe that in touching Jesus’ garment, that she would be healed. But yet I pray and wonder if God will do what I pray, and then am surprised when it comes to pass.
Hebrews 13:8 says that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. So if God did miracles, signs, wonders, and healings back when He was on the earth, then would He not still be able to do these same miracles, signs, wonders, and healings today? Any why am I so surprised when my prayers are answered? I have been on missions and seen people get healed, delivered, and turn their heart over to Christ. Yet every time this happens I am shocked to see that God has used me. Do I have faith? Do I believe that God hears everyone but me? Does God hear me?
The answers to all these questions are yes. God hears me when I pray. James 2:1 tells us that God has no favorites. My challenge is to believe that when I pray, not only does God hear me, but also wants to answer me. When I pray God’s will, He will give me the desires of my heart. Let’s bring this back to my drive home, though. God wanted me to have peace and safety. It should not surprise me to see God heal, giants fall, relationships healed, and unreachable people come to Christ. Nor should it surprise you. Our challenge is to believe when we pray. After all, God IS the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GOD OUR FATHER

If one were to move away from the misconception that God is so distant in His status and truly understand, as Christ so often pointed ou...